Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HomeWorker
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 17:41:51
Print Post

Wireless N & G together and new router

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Had a quick scour through the forums but couldn't find a response which exactly fitted my issue. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Setup:
- PS3 connected wth Wireless G
- Readynas NAS DUO / PCH Streamer / Blu Ray - all hard cabled
- Squeebox Boom (Wireles G)
- 2 Wireless G laptops
- 3 wireless N laptops
- DG834G v3 modem router
- BE Unlimited (downspeed about 13.5mbps and upspeed 1.3mbps)

Thinking of upgrading to a Wireless N modem router but wary of comments across the forums of speed degradation when mixing G & N clients on an N wireless network.

Question
1) Can I make the DG834G just a Wireless Access Point to serve the G-only clients?
2) Can I connect the DG834G to a new wireless N modem router which would serve the G-clients
3) Given thay my NAS would benefit from a Gigabit switch, and I'm on BE Unlimited, is there a model router which would be ideally suited to these, if 1 and 2 above are both possible?

Thanks for any help
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 18:26:27
Print Post

Re: Wireless N & G together and new router

[re: HomeWorker] [link to this post]

You have a minor typo in Point 2. You mean wireless N.

Yes, you could use one as the modem and access point 1, and connect the other via ethernet to it as access point 2. Disable DHCP in the secondary one that isn't connected direct to the phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jan-11 18:31:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by HomeWorker:
Thinking of upgrading to a Wireless N modem router but wary of comments across the forums of speed degradation when mixing G & N clients on an N wireless network.

Unless you have a lot of free channels around you, having both G and N as separate networks (on different channels) will be quite hard to do!! To do N fully you need 2 bonded channels, and finding two channels in the 2.4ghz space in most towns is annoyingly tricky.

If you have 5ghz N equipment then you will have more channels to try but not all N kit is 5ghz.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps at 24.5db - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 18:40:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

A link to InSSIDer which is brilliant on Windows for analysing the competing local wireless router channels in use.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User HomeWorker
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:33:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks guys for the info. I've downloaded inSSIDer as you suggested

I see 6 wireless stations reported.
Mine is on channel 3, there are three wireless N stations on channel 6 (two of which have the same MAC address and the other is BT Openzone, so I suspect these are all the same device??), one G station on channel 11 and one on channel 1.

Is this level of local traffic likely to be problem with my proposed solution above?
And sorry to sound like a complete numpty, but what is the likely impact going to be if I do press ahead with the proposed solution?

Your advice is much appreciated - cheers

Edited by HomeWorker (Thu 06-Jan-11 19:36:15)

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:41:46
Print Post

I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Assuming you want it in your home, neighbours' signals will be attenuated greatly by distance and brick walls. Using innssider will allow you to choose the best channels.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User HomeWorker
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:48:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Assuming you want it in your home, neighbours' signals will be attenuated greatly by distance and brick walls. Using innssider will allow you to choose the best channels.

Thanks BatBoy. I definitely want it in my home, although occasionally in the garden with a cold beer, but that's limited to about 3 days a year when the weather is warm enough!

Another wireless station just appeared on inSSIDer, G station on channel 5. This program is good!!! I assume that this additional station merely reduces the choices of wireless channels I can choose and doesn't have a dramatic effect upon your response?

So, bearing in mind I'm on Be Unlimited, is there a specific modem router I should be looking at (preferably Netgear, but been looking at the Billion 7800N but this seems pricey. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Be prefers a particular chipset but I'm not sure which routers contain which chipsets?? crazy

cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:49:35
Print Post

As BatBoy says. I can see about 14 in my area.

If you look at the signal strength graph you can see the degree of overlap with yours. On "g" which is all I know they recommend three to four channel separation if you can get it. The signal strength in the graph helps you decide, as a close channel number but very weak could be less problem than a strong signal one further away in number.

Don't forget the top channel, is it 13 or 14? Very few use that.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:51:06
Print Post

There's the DGN2000 and 2200 but I don't know the difference, and I doubt if they have the gigabit switch frown.

Standard User HomeWorker
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:55:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Great - thanks for the info though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to