Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 11-Jan-11 13:50:38
Print Post

Billion Wireless range,replacing antennas?

[link to this post]

Hi, bit of a newbie with all of this, could do with some advice. I've just purchased a Billion 7300N, to replace a LinkSys WAG 160N, which was intermitently dropping connections, has a problem with DHCP, and the wireless range wasn't very good.

However, I'm mightily disappointed in the Billion, it syncs lower than the LinkSys, but the big issue is the wirless. I get appalling wireless coverage, in the next room, upstairs and further away from the router isn't too bad, but for some reason the living room, a few metres away the wireless signal is very very poor, worse than the Linksys.

Now, I've looked for other wifi's conflicting on the same channel, that I'm using, there aren't any, we're in a small close in a detached house. I've configured the router as n+g.

What can I do to improve the performance? I know I could use the LinkSys as a repeater, am I right in assuming I'd have to run a LAN cable to it though? I'm not particular keen on that idea, particularly not for a room so close.

I see cheap antenna's on ebay, which I know would fit the Billion, the existing ones are 3Dbi, would upgrading to 6-10Dbi make any difference?

I am planning on moving the router to different places in the room, when I get an extended modem cable, the router is under a monitor and close to a wall. Is that likely to make any difference?

Any help gratefully received.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 15:12:37
Print Post

Re: Billion Wireless range,replacing antennas?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

try it on g only on channel 1 for starters.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Wed 12-Jan-11 00:52:44
Print Post

Got the latest firmware (1.07A)? Is it near a cordless phone? Is it on max power? Tried moving the aerials about a bit? Being away from obstructions and electrical equipment is probably best but not always practical obviously.

Seems strange. I'm sure there must be a logical explanation but I've got no real clue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 12-Jan-11 01:37:00
Print Post

They may fit but will they match the impedance?

As for 3Dbi - you actually mean 3dBi - d for deci a D for Deka which is 100 times greater and certainly not used in this context.

A 6dBi antenna will only give additional gain in certain directions and that is at the expense of power in others so in certain locations you will see an improvement and in other areas degradation and without 3D-polar plots of the antenna performance it is not easy to understand.

As you seem to have problems with two different WAPs - have you considered that the building may be the cause? For example, underfloor heating, plasterboard walls with foil covered board, specific types of insulation in stud walls have been known to cause problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User waccoe
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 09:55:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. I have switched over to just 'g', but the Ipad wont connect on channel 1 for some strange reason, so I've used channel 11. It's made a very slight difference, but not much. I've wiggled the aerials, already on the latest firmware, and transmit power is already on 100%.

I tend to think that MHC's suggestion is correct, there's something wrong with the house smile Never had a decent wifi signal. We do have plaster board walls, but I have no idea whether they are foil covered or if the insulation is to blame. How can you possibly tell without hacking away at the wall? Assuming this is a possibility, can anything be done about it? I already have a couple of Devolo powerline adapters, could I stick the linksys on the end of one of those and use as a repeater?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 12-Jan-11 10:06:56
Print Post

[re: waccoe] [link to this post]

I know from experience - I have 4 (yes four) WAPs in my house to give good coverage. The underfloor heating is water based but will not cause too much of a problem, but the steel spreader plates cover all of the floors in two thirds of the house. Studwalls in bathrooms and kitchen have foil backing which is a good RF insulator too.

To check for foil backing on a stud wall - turn off the main power, remove a power socket face plate, then the mounting box and feel the inside of the hole.

Another problem I have come across is reinforced concrete walls or floors the mesh can be just the right size to act as a Faraday cage - it does not need to be solid metal but a mesh is good enough and can cause issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jan-11 10:43:26
Print Post

[re: waccoe] [link to this post]

I already have a couple of Devolo powerline adapters, could I stick the linksys on the end of one of those and use as a repeater?
Theory, (in my case), says yes. You can do it with a direct ethernet cable so should be able to with powerline adapters.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
  Print Thread

Jump to