Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Feb-11 10:18:20
Print Post

Netgear DGN2200

[link to this post]

Got one of these yesterday, the 834Gt I got from ebay died on me 3 months back, since then I have been using my old Speedtouch 585, but that have started to fail and it never liked my Ps3 anyway.
So I went out a got a DGN2200 yesterday, it waw in PCworld at a good price. Being Netgear I thought it would do ok.
I think they must have changed their chipsets, where it does work ok, and gets me just over 3.4Megabits, it don't seem to reach the sync speed of the speedtouch, 4.4megabits or the other netgear when I changed the SNR on it.

My SNr is now 9.1 and there don't seem to be any way to change it on this router. i know 3.4 is pretty good considering where I am in relation to the exchange, but i just wish there was a way to change the SNR on the router.

It looks nice and it stank like hell yesterday for a while smile, did it smell, It seems pretty stable and I love the QOS system it got

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Als
(committed) Mon 07-Feb-11 16:17:17
Print Post

Re: Netgear DGN2200

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Deleted, misread as DGN2000

Al

Edited by Als (Mon 07-Feb-11 16:18:34)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Feb-11 18:20:10
Print Post

[re: Als] [link to this post]

I thought you did, I had a email to say you replied and I thought, then that you misread my message.

Thanks anyway

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Tue 08-Feb-11 19:17:57
Print Post

I have just ordered a 'Free' one from Plusnet.

I shall be interested to see if it is as good as my Thomson Speedtouch 585v7 on my 63db loss line.

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Feb-11 09:13:37
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have just ordered a 'Free' one from Plusnet.

I shall be interested to see if it is as good as my Thomson Speedtouch 585v7 on my 63db loss line.

Compared to my old 585 it is not even close. the netgear may have more features, but it don't seem to be able to cope as well as the speedtouch.

I should have got a another speedtouch, the problem with new ones is they use a different chipset,

My SNR is now 10Db, the Speedtouch put it down to 5db. Netgear over priced junk I think. I will see what happens in the next few days if it don't settle it will go back.

Adrian

Standard User ucantbesirius
(newbie) Wed 09-Feb-11 10:09:00
Print Post

I recently got a brand-new AOL 585v6 (broadcom) from e-bay for £9 including postage, so it would be worth having a look there. I managed to unlock the web interface without too much trouble (it's more involved unlocking the firmware, but the one I got is running V6.2.29.2 which I found to be very stable on a previous 585v6, so I'm not bothered about that).

I tried a DGN2200 recently as well but took it back after I'd got the new 585v6 for such a low price.

Thanks,
ucantbesirius
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Feb-11 10:58:15
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Is this a change of hardware from PN or did you get a choice for a Netgear DGN2200 as they were giving out the TG585v8 not so long ago.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Wed 09-Feb-11 14:52:02
Print Post

Re: Netgear DGN2200 - Changing SNR

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Is this a change of hardware from PN or did you get a choice for a Netgear DGN2200 as they were giving out the TG585v8 not so long ago.
Plusnet will supply the DGN2200 if you make a special request. In my case, I did not take a router when I joined Plusnet 1 year ago as I already have two TG585v7s courtesy of Pipex. I had to agree to a new 1 year contract to get the DGN2200 FOC.

Having got the DGN2200 it syncs at a slightly slower speed that the TG585v7 though whether this makes any practical difference depends on my IP profile.

I have been trying to tweak the DGN2200's snr, with the hope of getting a better IP Profile, but I find that after I enter the 'adslctl configure -- snr nn' command the router fails to re-establish an IP connection, though there is an ADSL connection. This happens even if I use 'adslctl configure --snr 100' which just means use the standard snr value.

The only way to re-establish the IP connection is to reboot the router. Anyone found a solution to this problem?

Michael Chare
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Feb-11 15:38:25
Print Post

purchased a dgn2200 to see what the new broadcom chipset was like

UI is very slow, drops wireless constantly however it would hold the line slightly better then a dg834gt. Not the chipsets fault more netgears. Been told there is a beta release firmware that fixes a few issues however i just took it back to the retailer for a refund, was not worth £74 over the GT imo.

Tweaking is done with telnetenabler and the usual CLI commands, however as another poster said, it sometimes does not respond the the commands and sometimes refuses to telnet until it is rebooted.

Edited by Lemzip (Wed 09-Feb-11 15:39:05)

Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Wed 09-Feb-11 18:34:20
Print Post

compared to the ST585v6 I found my DGN2200 didn't cope as well with SNRM variations.
That is, overnight my snr drops to about 4.5 then comes back up to 10dB around 9.30am. With the netgear it only recovered to 8dB. Not a major problem, but a difference nontheless.

Vivaciti_LLU [C&W]

Edited by BeachBoy (Wed 09-Feb-11 18:34:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to