Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Sun 13-Feb-11 16:15:43
Print Post

Modem Router Suggestions

[link to this post]

I'm with Plusnet on a value package and I'm generally very satisfied with them.
Following the upgrade of our exchange to 21CN I asked to be transferred and so far so good.
On 20CN I got a d/s attenuation of around 44 dB and a download speed of 4/4.5 Mb/s.
Following my upgrade the attenuation has fallen (yes fallen) to 41 dB and I am now getting a download of around 6+ Mb/s.
So smiles all round, but although browsing on my desktop connected via internet stays connected for weeks, wireless browsing on my netbook requires at least daily power cycling of my router which is a Netgear DGN1000 following disconnects.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost modem router with a good wireless coverage that would suit my medium to long line. My location is high on the side of the Lower Pennines and the S/N drops by about 5 dB at night.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Feb-11 19:53:36
Print Post

Re: Modem Router Suggestions

[re: towdgeezer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by towdgeezer:
So smiles all round, but although browsing on my desktop connected via internet stays connected for weeks, wireless browsing on my netbook requires at least daily power cycling of my router which is a Netgear DGN1000 following disconnects.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost modem router with a good wireless coverage that would suit my medium to long line. My location is high on the side of the Lower Pennines and the S/N drops by about 5 dB at night.
Hi, it seems many users of the Netgear DGN1000 router do have problems with wireless stability.

Have you tried using only 802.11g

with the channels 1, 5, 9, 13

802.11g hardware is fully backwards compatible with 802.11b hardware. Details of making b and g work well together occupied much of the lingering technical process. In an 802.11g network, however, the presence of a legacy 802.11b participant will significantly reduce the speed of the overall 802.11g network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g

From experience I can recommend the 2Wire 2700HGV wireless router.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/3964371...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-Feb-11 10:10:15
Print Post

As E7er suggests - a 2wire2700HGV it can easily cope wit the overnight drop and works well on long lines. Get a new unopened one from ebay for £10 and visit http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm on how to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:50:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank-you for your suggestions, I agree that a 2 wire sounds just the thing.
Unfortunately I am banned from ebay by my better half following a calamitous purchase some time ago.
I shall have to look around computer fairs and the like and see if I can spot one.
I emailed Pace who took over 2 wire to see if I could purchase a "kosher" one but I don't expect to receive a positive reply. The Netgear doesn't seem to have a g only setting, only g & b, or up to 65 or up to 150 Mb/s.
Regards,
towdgeezer
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-Feb-11 21:35:25
Print Post

It is unlikely that Pace or 2wire will say yes. The RRP is around £95 so even if they agreed it would be expensive.

Have a look around but you may not be too successful or you will pay way over the odds. Two friends have just bought 2700HGCs and paid £10 delivered off ebay - so maybe you need to find a way.

M H C

Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Tue 15-Feb-11 21:39:25
Print Post

Is this the right one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Business-Hub/dp/B001F4XS68/
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:00:36
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

and 5x the price of a new item on ebay!

M H C

Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:04:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's not a lot of help to him though is it. tongue
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:07:21
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

He could buy one off ebay using buy-it-now for about 12 quid.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:17:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by towdgeezer:
browsing on my desktop connected via internet stays connected for weeks, wireless browsing on my netbook requires at least daily power cycling of my router which is a Netgear DGN1000 following disconnects.
That's not router discons, because your desktop stays connected, but just wireless flakiness.

You just need to disconnect and reconnect the netbook to the wireless, rather than rebooting router every time

Also try other wireless channels. Get http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to see what neighbours are on.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to