Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dustofnations
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 17:44:32
Print Post

DrayTek Vigor 2830 - no IPv6 support

[link to this post]

I sent an email to DrayTek enquiries wrt to IPv6 on the 2830, this is the reply I got verbatim (warts and all)

Hello,

The Vigor2920 series does not currently have IPv6 support; we do not
have a published schedule/plan for implamentation on that model currently.

Regards,

DrayTek UK

I'd say that was very disappointing for a router of this grade and price, especially as the underlying kernel is Linux, and has IPv6 support. It is a feature-rich box, but the lack of support and unwillingness to communicate anything useful is a shame really.

Edited by dustofnations (Fri 18-Feb-11 22:28:39)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Feb-11 18:06:47
Print Post

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2830 - no IPv6 support

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dustofnations:
I'd say that was very disappointing for a router of this grade and price, especially as the underlying kernel is Linux, and has IPv6 support. It is a feature-rich box, but the lack of support and unwillingness to communicate anything useful is a shame really.

I agree its disappointing. Hopefully its just the problem that SEG (the UK distributor) has no view into the plans of Draytek Taiwan. - http://www.draytek.com.tw

But I can't find anything on ipv6 obvious on that site either.

Shame - I like my 2820vn.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 18-Feb-11 21:25:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I did find this on their Web site at http://www.draytek.com.tw/user/IPv6commitment.php

DrayTek IPv6 development

DrayTek Vigor series routers (Vigor2130 series) have already received certification of IPv6 Ready logo program (Phase I IPv6 Ready Silver logo) to honor our efforts to make devices meet requirements not only for today but also for tomorrow. On the other hand, this achievement represents how dedicated DrayTek commits to our customers. Phase I achievement is only the start point for DrayTek and we will keep customers posted about our future progress.

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2800VG

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 22:18:57
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brightd:
I did find this on their Web site at http://www.draytek.com.tw/user/IPv6commitment.php

DrayTek IPv6 development

DrayTek Vigor series routers (Vigor2130 series) have already received certification of IPv6 Ready logo program (Phase I IPv6 Ready Silver logo) to honor our efforts to make devices meet requirements not only for today but also for tomorrow. On the other hand, this achievement represents how dedicated DrayTek commits to our customers. Phase I achievement is only the start point for DrayTek and we will keep customers posted about our future progress.

This might imply that jchamier is correct, and UK reseller is relatively useless wrt development. I'll contact the TW headquarters directly and post back the results.

Worst comes to worst, there is the possibility of hacking better firmware onto it such as OpenWRT.

I'd rather see router manufacturers collectively use and contribute to something like OpenWRT and compete on the basis of hardware and performance. Better than disparate sets of software which often compete on how few bugs they have rather than being good.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 00:10:43
Print Post

Unfortunately the UK supplier of Draytek's has been proven to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Quite happy to take your cash but support is lacking in a big way.

Dave
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 00:16:36
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Unfortunately the UK supplier of Draytek's has been proven to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Quite happy to take your cash but support is lacking in a big way.
Agreed. Unfortunately, other support locations, e.g. Taiwan, USA, are equally as bad.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:10:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Agreed. Unfortunately, other support locations, e.g. Taiwan, USA, are equally as bad.

So what's the alternative? The Billion model recently talked about on these forums has 90% of the features but leaves out the VPN server function that I use all the time. (and its only 100meg switch ports, and no information on throughput for say VM's 100meg service).

The only possible competition I'm aware of is the AVM Fritz Box range; but I haven't looked into them.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 18:07:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Have been doing a bit of research, and apparently the latest firmware (might still be in late beta testing), allegedly supports IPv6. I believe this might be one of the routers the AAISP is testing at the moment (or a similar model, with the same IPv6 software components).

So this would indicate that the UK distributors are completely clueless.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 21:09:13
Print Post

Disappointing that the UK distributors do not take the trouble to view a major forum like this; and then to comment. frown

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 21:30:40
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
Disappointing that the UK distributors do not take the trouble to view a major forum like this; and then to comment. frown

It wasn't really meant as an insult to them (if that's what you're implying - if not, sorry!), just a statement that they do not seem properly informed about the update progress of the products they sell. I realise they may just be a reseller but they have the "draytek.co.uk" domain, so you would expect a detailed knowledge as to the software road-map for a £200+ product.

Edited by dustofnations (Sun 20-Feb-11 21:37:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to