Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 22-Feb-11 13:28:24
Print Post

ADSL routers with built-in gigabit ports/switches

[link to this post]

Does such a thing exist?

I see a few ADSL routers with a single gigabit port (for connecting to the wired LAN I presume) but where's the point in that when the other LAN ports on the router are 100Mbps? Why aren't more ADSL routers fitted with gigabit ethernet ports? Surely it'd add little or no cost to making the router in the first place?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 22-Feb-11 13:54:58
Print Post

Re: ADSL routers with built-in gigabit ports/switches

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Why aren't more ADSL routers fitted with gigabit ethernet ports?

cos ADSL doesn't need gigabit and price is king ? Plug the 100M ethernet port of the router into a GigE switch and away you go...

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Feb-11 14:11:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

That means using a separate switch for gigabit though, which quite a lot of people probably don't need for their networks. And with wireless, 802.11n especially, 100Mbit ports are kind of a bottleneck so gigabit ports do make a difference to that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 22-Feb-11 14:17:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

true. Single port ADSL router with 100M ethernet, gigabit wireless N access point with 4 port switch, sorted. Actually 802.11n doesn't get near 100M ethernet when I've tried it.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Feb-11 22:00:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
true. Single port ADSL router with 100M ethernet, gigabit wireless N access point with 4 port switch, sorted. Actually 802.11n doesn't get near 100M ethernet when I've tried it.

Some N implementations can; in dual channel (40mhz) locations with no interference. ie, nobody in a town smile

You'll find this is the reason routers such as the BT HomeHub and the Draytek 2820 have a single GigE port and three 100m, along with N wireless.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 23-Feb-11 13:01:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Why aren't more ADSL routers fitted with gigabit ethernet ports?

cos ADSL doesn't need gigabit and price is king ? Plug the 100M ethernet port of the router into a GigE switch and away you go...

So I end up with an extra box sitting in my media cabinet requiring power. Even top-end ADSL routers don't have gigabit ports and given the very small extra cost and greater convenience, it just doesn't make sense.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 23-Feb-11 15:40:17
Print Post

Joconnell
As no ADSL goes upto 100Mb why would they go to the cost of putting a Gb port in.

The new BT HH3 has a Ge port in but only so that it can be connected to FTTP if/when it is available. This would enable the 110Mb linespeed, 100Mb throughput promised speed.

But you would only need Gb port when you use fibre.

I presume you are trying to run a Ge LAN around your premises which suggests business use ( 100s of units). and most ADSL routers are designed for the dirt cheap domestic markets (100000s of units) where margins are in the pence / month range.

ADSL routers work on the basis of upto 24Mb out so only need 100Mb ports in,
VDSL/Cable routers on the basis of upto 100Mb out so still only need 100Mb ports in,

FTTP is Gb out, so need Ge ports, I would expect more than 1, but they may be working on the basis that noone will need more than 1 if they are using N wireless as well

Kitkat
Standard User mrc99
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 16:04:50
Print Post

They do exist. Try Billion's 7800N for starters.
Standard User normcall
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 16:34:09
Print Post

[re: mrc99] [link to this post]

I've just bought a Belkin dual band router with four 1Gb ports and 2 USB ports.
I only bought it because of the 5Ghz wireless as all the users round here just use Channel 1,6 and 11 rather than 1,5, 9 and 13 keeping a 2 channel separation and allow additional users. With 2 or 3 users on each channel, wireless is almost unusable unless within cable distance which defeats the object.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 23-Feb-11 16:46:23
Print Post

if the extra cost is anything more than zero and there's no perceived demand it makes a lot of sense. Horses for courses - switch for switching, AP for wireless, modem/router for internet gateway.

Same argument as hi-fi separates really, the all-in-one units tended not to be the best or to suit everyone's taste.

Power consumption probably same.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to