Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Thu 24-Feb-11 18:57:59
Print Post

Billion Bipac 8200N

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am possibly after this particular modem/router for use in conjunction with an FTTC modem. I know it has a built in VDSL2 modem but if required there is an alternative "EWAN" port for connection to a modem - could anyone tell me if this router when used with the EWAN option would be compatible with BT's Infinity service?

The only other problem I'm having is sourcing one - they don't seem to be sold anywhere crazy Either they are new.. or discontinued frown

Thanks for your help

--
schadenfreude n. the malicious enjoyment of another's misfortunes

A happy PlusNetter crazy
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Feb-11 19:24:34
Print Post

Re: Billion Bipac 8200N

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ste__:
I am possibly after this particular modem/router for use in conjunction with an FTTC modem. I know it has a built in VDSL2 modem but if required there is an alternative "EWAN" port for connection to a modem - could anyone tell me if this router when used with the EWAN option would be compatible with BT's Infinity service?

WAN rather than EWAN - the WAN stands for "Wide Area Network" which is the link from your home outside.

Contrast with LAN which is Local Area Network - the wired connections from your router to your computer inside your home.

The only other problem I'm having is sourcing one - they don't seem to be sold anywhere crazy Either they are new.. or discontinued frown

Are you sure you've got the model number right? The only similar one I can find is:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TOKGL8/ref=asc_df_B00...

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User ucantbesirius
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:04:20
Print Post

Hi,

As jchamier said, it might be the 7800N that you're after - this has an EWAN connection, as well as the ADSL modem, so that you can connect to a VDSL modem (that I believe BT fit if you go for Infinity). As far as I can see from the Billion UK website, the 8200N would replace the modem that BT fit and therefore doesn't need an EWAN connection (it doesn't appear to have one from the datasheet on the website).

I've just bought a 7800N for that reason so that, fingers crossed, when my exchange gets FTTC enabled, I'm ready for it.

I can't comment on the 7800N yet as I'm waiting for my ISP to finish their monitoring on my line after some fault rectification work, so I can't swap routers at the moment, but I bought on the strength of all the good reviews its got.

Probably best to give Billion UK a ring and explain exactly what you need it for.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
ucantbesirius

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:12:18
Print Post

From the spec on Billion's UK site there is no extra ethernet wan port just a VDSL modem.

It would appear to be new, as it looks to have been unveiled at CeBit which was pretty recent.

Dave
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:23:16
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Thanks,

The EWAN port also appears to be present on the 7800x series, or you can opt to use it as a normal 5th switch port according to the specs. I am tempted with the 7800 - it's specifically the VLAN functionality I am after but appears it is only for IPTV use on the 7800?

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer :|

--

A happy PlusNetter crazy
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:27:15
Print Post

Ah you are quite right about there being no EWAN port - I'm sure I saw on a datasheet/manual somewhere it had a shared 5th port for either an extra switch or EWAN port.

Hrmm.. looks like it's the 7800 then.

Apologies for the confusion crazy

--

A happy PlusNetter crazy
Standard User laughingjohn
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-11 14:06:17
Print Post

According to the 8200N user manual you can use Ethernet port 4 to connect to a modem. So it will work but you'll lose a port.

With the correct settings you should be able to replace both the Infinity modem and home hub. I've read of someone who has managed it with a Draytek VDSL router, so it is certainly possible.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 21:45:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rockh:
From the spec on Billion's UK site there is no extra ethernet wan port just a VDSL modem.

It would appear to be new, as it looks to have been unveiled at CeBit which was pretty recent.

The latest firmware I can find is dated 25/1/2010. The Billion UK site seems to be down ATM.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 10-Apr-11 21:46:38)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 22:13:31
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Billion advised me that this model will go on sale sometime in September. Billion UK are waiting for their VDSL2/FTTC line to be installed so that they can properly support customers.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Matfink
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-11 23:27:46
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

It's available now>
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

I'm still waiting for BT infinity but in the meantime, I'd be interested to know if anyone gets this modem to work with BT infinity and whether the broadbandbuyer website is correct in saying that a BT modem is still required.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to