Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Mar-11 14:35:43
Print Post

BT Master Socket Not Wired - Bizarre

[link to this post]

We have a generally slow connection (less than 1mbps most of the time) which periodically annoys the hell out of me, so looking around online I found that removing the ring wire from the BT master socket can improve speeds.

We have two phone sockets in the house, the master in the living room (with a removable face plate) and an extension in the bedroom. I removed the face plate from the master socket to remove the ring wire, only to find that there is no wiring connected to it. The wires are all tucked back into the hole behind the socket.

I can only assume that the connection we have been using (broadband and voice) has been running through the test socket all this time (over a year).

A) who is responsible for connecting the socket up correctly?
B) would it make any difference to our broadband speed (we have a long, noisy line, 59db attenuation) if it was connected correctly?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Mar-11 14:50:31
Print Post

Re: BT Master Socket Not Wired - Update

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just a quick update. For ages we have had a crackly line when using the phone, BT say there is no problem with it. After just trying the phone in the bedroom socket (which we normally never use), this crackle has gone. I have plugged the router in and the sync speed has improved a little, but then it usually does when it's been restarted.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:52:59
Print Post

Re: BT Master Socket Not Wired - Bizarre

A) You are. Only you have a problem in that you are not supposed to go behind the backplate cover. Someone before you obviously didn't know that.

B) Hard to tell. Assuming you do try to correct things, which I would do, you will find there is no ring wire attached, as there are only the incoming A/B terminals.

What you might find is that the extension cable is cheapo stuff, possible burglar alarm wire, or true bell wire that is used for the doorbell.

That would be bad news and could be causing trouble. What are the colours of the wires, and how many are there in that extension cable?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Mar-11 15:08:20
Print Post

OK, it's a mess. There are two cables, both white sheaths. 6 wires in each:

Blue & Blue Striped
Orange & Orange Striped
Green & Green Striped

One cable has all the wires but the green and green striped connected up somewhere in the top of the socket; I can't see where but they are hooked up to something.

The other cable has the blue, blue striped and orange wires connected up to the same place, leaving the orange striped, solid green and green striped free.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 15:27:47
Print Post

Ummm frown.

The good news is it is the right sort of cable, and everything should be fixable.

The bad news is, (I'm guessing), that whoever did this started with the master somewhere else and has replaced it by a junction box there. Probably very near to where the line enters the house.

Any chance of finding it and seeing what is on there?

It sounds as though the ring wire is connected, and in one case also perhaps T4. We could do with knowing what is connected at the extension as well.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 02-Mar-11 15:28:03)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Mar-11 15:42:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We're actually in a flat; god knows where the master is. There're no other sockets in our flat so I can only assume it's elsewhere in the building.

As for the extension in the bedroom, it seems all the wires are connected, or were; I've just disconnected 3 and 4 (orange and orange striped) which were hopefully the ring wires!
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-11 16:16:44
Print Post

Anon,

From the cabinet I have 2 pairs entering an external box: orange & white and green & black. The orange & white are the "live" pair.

Connected to the incoming orange & white pair are blue with white stripes and white with blue stripes rigid wires - orange connected to blue with white stripes and white connected to white with blue stripes. The cable containing the blue with white stripes and white with blue stripes wires connects to the back of the internal master socket - within that cable there are two other pairs that are not used, i.e. orange with white stripes & white with orange stripes and green with white stripes & white with green stripes.

Then I use a filtered faceplate with an extension phone line connected to that using only two wires, i.e. no bell wire.

Hope this helps smile

4M2.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 17:20:17
Print Post

T3 is the ring wire, T4 is unused and in theory has no effect, but others have found removing it helps.

1 and 6 are useless as well. I would reduce the connections in the master to 2 and 5, including the incoming, and run the extension off the back of the faceplate, as per 4M2's post.

To connect to the faceplate you will need an IDC/Krone tool. The cheapo one will be fine, or from B & Q, Maplin etc.

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:30:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good advice Bob,

But if the incoming connections at the back of what is believed to be a master socket are wrongly wired isn't that really a job for BT/OR? Tampering with those connections BT/OR side could cause a few problems perhaps - or did I misunderstand your post?

4M2.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:39:13
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I was working on the basis that they have already been tampered with, possibly by the landlord, and that putting it right can't do a lot of harm.

I would certainly have a go in the poster's position.

There is the possible problem of identifying which is the incoming and which is the extension, but that's minor really. Detach one pair and see if the test socket works. If it doesn't swap to the other pair and try again.

And of course, normal care is needed, for example not to get a screwdriver across the A/B terminals and short the line.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to