Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User caliphshouse
(newbie) Thu 17-Mar-11 11:06:31
Print Post

Wifi for a large house

[link to this post]

I live in a large home in Morocco, and am desperate to get wifi all over the building. One problem is that it's pretty spread out; another that it's made of stone.

Can anyone advise what system would be best and most cost affective? I'm completely not techy and have got very confused reading up online about access points, repeaters etc.

At the moment we have a single wifi router which only covers one small part of the house.

A million thanks in advance for any help.

TS
Standard User zebedeee
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 12:32:00
Print Post

Re: Wifi for a large house

[re: caliphshouse] [link to this post]

'Best' and 'cost effective' don't usually go hand in hand. My own experience with wi-fi is as follows......

Most people site routers close to where the phone line comes in. This is usually not the best place for a wii-fi base station.

Linking wi-fi bases together wirelessly can seriously slow down communications, because the second station will be re-transmitting packets received from the first station, and even when the link between the two is perfect, you won't get very good performance with large file transfers, video streaming, etc., because of retransmission time caused by bad packet reception.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but after much trial and error, I found the best way of serving a large house with wi-fi is as follows:

Place a wired router close to where the phone line comes in, and run Cat5 cabling from the router LAN output to the first Wireless Access Point (WEP). Run more Cat5 cables from the router to subsequent WEPs.

Locate the WEPs in the centre of areas where wi-fi coverage is desired. Bear in mind that the radiation pattern from WEP antennas is doughnut shaped, with the antenna going through the hole in the doughnut. If coverage on multiple floors of a property is desired, then antennas may need to be laid in a horizontal direction, or you may need to use more WEPs (linked by wire to the router).

Lastly, if you are in an area where there are lots of wi-fi users, it will probably be best to have all the WEPs on one wi-fi channel. If you are in an area where you are the sole user, then you can use two or more channels for your WEPs.

Home ADSL: Be Unlimited LLU
Business ADSL:
Be LLU supplied by Andrews & Arnold
Orange 3G Business Everywhere Mobile BB

Edited by zebedeee (Thu 17-Mar-11 12:33:26)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 12:44:46
Print Post

As you are so far away from me I feel safe to recommend the use of homeplugs which use the house's electricity wiring to distribute the signal.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caliphshouse
(newbie) Thu 17-Mar-11 14:49:33
Print Post

[re: zebedeee] [link to this post]

Thank you SOOOO much. I am extremely grateful for this information.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Mar-11 18:50:43
Print Post

Hi, for your situation a large house with thick stone walls, I would recommend Devole home plugs.

Watch the video http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-n...

The latest generation of 500 AV HomePlugs are fully compatible with all 200 AV HomePlugs, so both can be used on the same network.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/PageTextDetail....

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to