Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djtom12
(committed) Thu 21-Apr-11 15:55:20
Print Post

Billion 7800N - P2P traffic causing complete slowdown

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I recently bought the 7800N and I'm very impressed with the features such as IPV6 and the wealth of configurable options available, however I think I've stumbled upon my first problem frown.

If I use a P2P client (either uTorrent on the PC or Transmission on Mac OSX) and my download speed gets maxed out, I find that I am unable to browse web pages or even access the router itself. The P2P traffic continues at full speed so it's not as though it's crashing the router - just preventing any other traffic from flowing.

UPNP is enabled (and works flawlessly smile) showing that the necessary ports are being opened, so it shouldn't be a port issue.

I tried enabling QoS and creating rules to treat HTTP traffic (TCP port 80) as HIGH on all devices and to treat P2P traffic as LOW on all devices. This seems to work for a couple of minutes, but then the P2P traffic maxes my connection as before making the rest of the web unusable.

I don't have the issue if I limit the download rate to a value lower than my maximum throughput. What I find most odd is that it's not just a slowdown of http traffic which I would expect with a maxed connection, but it's the fact I can't access the router at the same time which is confusing! Tracerts time out at the 1st hop (192.168.1.254)

Anybody got any suggestions? FWIW I'm running the beta IPV6 1.06c.dc1 firmware.

Thanks smile

Regards,
Tom
IDNet Home Max
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 18:06:07
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N - P2P traffic causing complete slowdown

[re: djtom12] [link to this post]

It could be a limitation in the number of NAT connections allowed. ISTR I had similar issues with one of my ADSL routers.

It may not be the speed itself. try limiting the number of connections in your BT client. It would be useful if you could get the number of max NAT sessions allowed from the tech specs of the router - if the figure is low, the manufacturers tend not to publicise it.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Apr-11 16:57:51
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N - P2P traffic causing complete slowdown

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I also get a similar problem with uTorrent. I even limited total number of connections right down to 50.

I'll get great speeds, but only for seconds at a time, then I lose connection totally. Standard out of the box firmware.

Are you connected wirelessly?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to