Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 25-Apr-11 13:58:54
Print Post

7800N IPv6 beta and pings...

[link to this post]

Billion 7800N router, 1.06c.dc1 beta firmware, PPPoE connection.

I want to run the ping test on this site.

Because of the no-NAT on IPv6 it's (correctly) picking up the v6 address of my computer and trying to ping it. But the router firewall appears to be blocking incoming connections to LAN addresses so all I get on v6 is 100% packet loss frown

Obviously I don't want to open the firewall to all incoming connections but I don't mind opening it to incoming v6 pings... currently it's just on default settings, could someone tell me what to change to make it do what I want?

Because where firewalls are concerned I don't like changing what I don't understand, and I don't understand any of it crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Mon 25-Apr-11 21:54:45
Print Post

Re: 7800N IPv6 beta and pings...

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Go to configuration>firewall>block WAN ping and you should see this:

Block WAN ping
Block WAN (ipv6) ping

Obviously both of the above should be set to "disable", but try enabling them...could just be a bug where the settings have the opposite effect frown

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 25-Apr-11 22:22:51
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks, but I'd already tried that and it doesn't do what I want.

It does do what it's supposed to do- it stops the router from responding to WAN pings on its own IP address. In other words it gives me a nice red spike on my IPv6 BQM smile

To be anthropomorphic about it, I want the router to look at an incoming ping, say to itself "Not my IP address, nothing to do with me, someone else's problem" and just pass it through to the LAN.

Although I don't mind if it wants to be picky and only pass through packets targeted at a specific address- the computer of interest uses a fixed IPv6 address.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM

Edited by billford (Mon 25-Apr-11 22:29:27)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dustofnations
(learned) Mon 25-Apr-11 22:48:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Thanks, but I'd already tried that and it doesn't do what I want.

It does do what it's supposed to do- it stops the router from responding to WAN pings on its own IP address. In other words it gives me a nice red spike on my IPv6 BQM smile

To be anthropomorphic about it, I want the router to look at an incoming ping, say to itself "Not my IP address, nothing to do with me, someone else's problem" and just pass it through to the LAN.

Although I don't mind if it wants to be picky and only pass through packets targeted at a specific address- the computer of interest uses a fixed IPv6 address.

Hmm, I presume you'll need to allow ICMPv6 packets through. It is nothing to do with ports btw, as it related to the IP protocol - and therefore has no concept of ports (Internet layer protocol). As far as I can see the site just uses AJAX to request a server does "something" to your IP address, and returns the results (presumably wang some ICMPv6 packets at you).

So yeah, look for some option that allows ICMPv6 packets through (ping, trace)

edit: btw your _local_ machine's firewall might be blocking or ignoring them too!

edit2: and I know you didn't mention ports, but just for the sake of anyone who comes across this and wanders.

Edited by dustofnations (Mon 25-Apr-11 22:51:04)

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 25-Apr-11 22:54:56
Print Post

I'm looking at getting this router, are you happy with it?

Do you happen to know how well the performance of the WAN RJ45 port is? I assume its 100Mb and just wondered how much it could actually get through the port in terms of performance.

Appreciate you may only be using the ADSL side of the router but maybe you picked up some stats on your travels for the RJ45 WAN port side of thing smile

Edited by GMAN98 (Mon 25-Apr-11 22:57:40)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 25-Apr-11 23:25:44
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm very happy with it, it seems to be a very good router.

I'm pretty sure the problems I'm having (ie in this thread) are because of my ignorance, not any lack of capability of the thing!

The manual looks OK and there's an easy-start wizard if you access it with IE, but if (like me) you're a Mac user then you're on your own crazy. The information is in the (pdf) manual but it's pretty basic, it's not a router for a complete tyro.

One or two possible bugs with the beta IPv6 firmware, but nothing serious and they may well be down to me trying to do something silly, I'll get on to Billion support when I'm reasonably sure what I'm talking about.

I'm on FTTC so I'm not using the ADSL port at all. The Ethernet WAN port is 10/100 which matches the BT modem port, and I haven't seen anything I could blame on the port not being gigabit- not like some Netgears (and maybe others) where the processor clearly couldn't keep up with fibre speeds on a 10/100 port.

HTH smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

(learned) Mon 25-Apr-11 23:53:46
Print Post

Yes, I'm very happy with it, it seems to be a very good router.

I'm pretty sure the problems I'm having (ie in this thread) are because of my ignorance, not any lack of capability of the thing!

The manual looks OK and there's an easy-start wizard if you access it with IE, but if (like me) you're a Mac user then you're on your own crazy. The information is in the (pdf) manual but it's pretty basic, it's not a router for a complete tyro.

One or two possible bugs with the beta IPv6 firmware, but nothing serious and they may well be down to me trying to do something silly, I'll get on to Billion support when I'm reasonably sure what I'm talking about.

I'm on FTTC so I'm not using the ADSL port at all. The Ethernet WAN port is 10/100 which matches the BT modem port, and I haven't seen anything I could blame on the port not being gigabit- not like some Netgears (and maybe others) where the processor clearly couldn't keep up with fibre speeds on a 10/100 port.

HTH smile

You might need to configure ipfw on OSX to allow icmp packets (e.g. code 8 echo request), I don't use mac but try
Text
man ipfw
(assuming you use ipfw!).

From one machine on your LAN with a real routed IPv6 address to another, do a ping6 (i.e. to your mac). See if it responds. It uses ICMP, so it'd be interesting to see whether it works with LAN traffic versus WAN.

Edited by dustofnations (Mon 25-Apr-11 23:54:33)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 26-Apr-11 00:02:13
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

OS X and/or the Mac isn't a problem- I've just tried (briefly) opening the firewall to any incoming traffic from anywhere, and it works.

Unfortunately, opening it to ICMP only isn't an option- the choices are TCP, UDP (or both) RAW (which hits one of the possible bugs) or Any.

"Any" works, the others don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

(learned) Tue 26-Apr-11 00:22:57
Print Post

OS X and/or the Mac isn't a problem- I've just tried (briefly) opening the firewall to any incoming traffic from anywhere, and it works.

Unfortunately, opening it to ICMP only isn't an option- the choices are TCP, UDP (or both) RAW (which hits one of the possible bugs) or Any.

"Any" works, the others don't.

Ah yes, I missed that in your original post. Looks like their interface is missing the requisite options (or they aren't working quite as expected). If you can get into shell you should be able to fix it.

File a bug report laugh
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-11 09:22:37
Print Post

and I haven't seen anything I could blame on the port not being gigabit- not like some Netgears (and maybe others) where the processor clearly couldn't keep up with fibre speeds on a 10/100 port.

HTH smile

Thanks.. that's what I was getting at, the processor not being able route at the speeds of the actual WAN port. That's good to know cheers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to