Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crey
(regular) Tue 03-May-11 09:42:43
Print Post

New Router???

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I currently have a Netgear 834GT which I am quite happy with except that it does run quite hot and I have been getting problems with my connection lately. I'm discussing these on another thread so won't go into details here but suffice to say the only thing I can't 100% rule out from causing the problems is my router, having tried different cables and plugged into test socket etc.
So I'm thinking that it may be time to move on from the Netgear 834GT...Or is it?
I am looking to add to the functionality a bit at the same time but not sure if I should stick with what I have and add seperate boxes for the additional functionality or go for an all in one solution (eggs and baskets come to mind there).
So My requirements in pretty much priority order are:
1. ADSL/ADSL2+
2. Stability of connection
3. Sync Speed
4. Good Wi-Fi Range
5. Guest Wi-Fi access (i.e. multiple SSIDís)
6. MAC Address filtering
7. Reasonable management interface
8. Printer Server
9. USB Storage Server/NAS
10. ADSL Usage Meter/Monitor
11. VoIP
12. 8 Wired data ports.

The routers I have been looking at down to reviews and customer comments are:

Netgear 834GT - Already have. Could I upgrade to 3rd party firmware and buy separate boxes for additional functionality?
Netgear DGND3700 - Not yet available but write up sounds good and I like Netgear
The rest I have no experience of so look to anyone who has to guide me on them.
DrayTek Vigor 2710 Vn
Billion BiPAC 7800N
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
None of these fulfil all my requirements 100% but I would willingly sacrifice some of the lower order requirements for better performance in those at the top of my list. Especially if I could achieve them using a separate piece of hardware/software. For instance I don't want an all singing all dancing VoIP PABX NAS Print Server multimedia blah blah... If it can't keep an ADSL line in sync for more than a couple of hours.
Or should/could I go for a more diverse solution in using separate hardware for my NAS and printer server functions etc. I don't want lots of old PC's dotted around serving different functions (space is the limiting factor according to She Who Must Be Obeyed wink)
The one box does all solution is tempting in terms of space and aesthetics but I can't help thinking that if all my eggs are on one basket and just one gets cracked I'll have to buy a whole new basket.

Any thoughts/comments, good or bad, any other suggestions as to routers/other solutions or my list of requirements If you think I have left off something essential greatly appreciated.

Regards
Clive
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-11 22:44:59
Print Post

Re: New Router???

[re: crey] [link to this post]

Hi,

Mount the 'GT vertically, the cooling is better and not only did that cure my flakiness with my 'GT, the discovery put me in good stead when my BTO FTTC modem started showing signs of overheating.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 08:13:17
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thanks DrT. I'll try that. I have read loads of posts here and elsewhere about fitting heatsinks and changing capacitors as well which may improve things.
Still contemplating another purchase though because it will give me a backup and the ability to prove it's not my router when I have problems, I can extend my functionality at the same time and besides I haven't had a new toy to play with for ages wink
So any comments on my requirements and shortlist of routers would still be appreciated.
Regards
Clive

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-11 08:25:58
Print Post

Checked out the Netgear DGN range?

I have got a DGN2000 and it's a cracking little router.

-

xilo.net Office 8Mb
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 08:41:24
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Thanks wolvesmad, I've seen some good write ups on it and that's what made me look at the DGND3700. It doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet but if it performs as well as it is specd it should be good. I have to say I have generaly been pleased with my netgear kit so far.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-11 11:20:34
Print Post

If you are happy with the 834GT's ADSL performance then make sure the DGND3700 has a broadcom chipset in.

The DGND3300 has a broadcom chipset in it as has the DGN2000.

ADSL performance on mine is identical to my older DG834GT and DG834PN.

-

xilo.net Office 8Mb
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 11:49:11
Print Post

Thanks wolvesmad. Apart from recent issues, which I'm not at all sure have anything to do with the router, I have been very happy with my DG834GT.
I believe the GND3700 has a broadcom chipset but I'll check before I decide.
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 14:01:58
Print Post

Taking another tack and bearing in mind my eggs in one basket concerns.
Would I be better going for a seperate adsl modem and router?
Perhaps the Netgear WNDR3700?
What modem would go in front of this to give me the best connection stability/sync speed?
DM111P??
My logic is simply that it would give me the flexibility to try a different modem for fault finding purposes without the expense of a full blown router modem.
Is there a "Best In Class" stand alone modem out there?

How about the Draytek Vigor 120 or BT Voyager 190. Both have popped out of google at me wink

Edited by crey (Wed 04-May-11 18:17:03)

Standard User crey
(regular) Fri 06-May-11 18:11:39
Print Post

Can anyone confirm what chipset the Netgear DGND3700 has in it?
Looks like it's released in uk
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...
but I can't find out what chipset it has anywhere.
Why do they keep this information so close to their chests??frown

Looks like Broadcom bcm53115 chip acording to
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341504

Edited by crey (Fri 06-May-11 18:40:23)

Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-May-11 08:01:01
Print Post

Why do they keep this information so close to their chests??frown .....

Netgear would probably say the same as DrayTek said to me when I asked them for information regarding the chipset.

We do not release this information to the public as it is commercially sensitive

They should be running MI5 as outside contractors !!! crazy crazy crazy

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to