Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Mon 09-May-11 20:44:16
Print Post

Replacement for Thomson Speedtouch 585?

[link to this post]

Can anyone advise me on a replacement for my 4-year-old Thomson Speedtouch 585? I'm having some connection woes right now and having established that there doesn't seem to be anything up with the phone line, it *may" be the router.....

I was advised the ST585 was good for my particular connection when I got it (I'm not sure if it's length or quality of line that's the issue, but suffice to say, it's been a great replacement from my previous Netgear router). Is the Thomson Gateway TG585 a suitable replacement, or is there something better?

Spot the difference:
BT daytime / BT evening
Zen daytime / Zen evening
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 22:10:09
Print Post

Re: Replacement for Thomson Speedtouch 585?

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/f/3997856...
The Billion 7700N is, in my opinion, the one to go for
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 09-May-11 23:22:13
Print Post

The TG585 is the sane as the Speedtouch 585 - but may be a later build/variant with newer firmware.

If you have a long or high attenuation line then think about a 2-wire 2700HGV-C - the BT business modem/router.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-May-11 07:48:13
Print Post

It's quite possible that the capacitors in the router are starting to fail, if you can solder they can be replaced.

Otherwise as suggested the 2 wire is a good device.

Dave
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Tue 10-May-11 17:55:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm not far from the exchange (about 1 mile), so I assume the ST585 was suggested due to poor stability. My router can sometimes go for longish spells without a resync (40+ days) but other times it's every day or two. My connection is usually not too bad (4Mb), the router reports connection as 7,200 kbps, Line profile is currently 6000 Kbps (though both are usually a bit lower) but right now I'm only getting speeds of 2-3Mb.

I don't know what my routers stats say about the line?

Line Attenuation - 17.0 / 28.0
SN Margin - 21.0 / 9.0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): - 0 / 2,118,003
CRC Errors (Up/Down) - 0 / 1,283
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - 0 / 1,211

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. But probably not really worth getting the TG585? I'd be a bit wary of having to change the firmware on the BT router to use it with another ISP, so perhaps the release of Billion 7700N is coming at the right time for me?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 10-May-11 20:02:16
Print Post

Changing the firmware is not that difficult and manay many users have done it. You can pick up a 2700 (new) for £10 (if you are lucky).

You should be getting pretty good speeds with those stats - but 2-3Mb on a 6Mb profile is poor and there are significant errors. Something is not right - either modem or line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Tue 10-May-11 20:56:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You should be getting pretty good speeds with those stats - but 2-3Mb on a 6Mb profile is poor and there are significant errors. Something is not right - either modem or line.

I normally get around 5Mb. My ISP have now established there are no faults showing so reckon it must be the router. So you reckon I should just buy one of the BT business routers off ebay rather than the Billion one Amazon have for release next week?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-May-11 21:10:46
Print Post

In respective to my thread, I would go for the BIllion, the only reason I suggest this is because an expereinced Openreach Engineer (18 years) said that he did a connection provide on a line with 96dB Downstream attenuation, and he said that their equipment wouldn't sync up however this guy had his whole IT Team down and they had a Billion 7800N with them, and it connected up perfectly at half a meg. The Billion 7700N uses the same chipset as the 7800N

Currently at the moment we have a BUsiness HUb and It drops the sync once every day, and the speed can vary as much as 600kbps.

Kind Regards
Edd
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 10-May-11 21:15:01
Print Post

The router is syncing OK, it's just that your ISP is not supplying the data as fast as your router can receive. That could be exchange congestion (BT) or your ISP's fault.

How long had the router been up when you got those stats? A few minutes and the errors are high, a few days and they may not be significant.
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Tue 10-May-11 22:44:40
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
The router is syncing OK, it's just that your ISP is not supplying the data as fast as your router can receive. That could be exchange congestion (BT) or your ISP's fault.

How long had the router been up when you got those stats? A few minutes and the errors are high, a few days and they may not be significant.

The router had been up for just over a day when I posted those stats. My ISP (Zen) insist they can't see any problem with the line stats, they've checked with BT and say contention isn't the problem either. They've been pretty good anytime I've had a problem previously so I'm inclined to believe them!

The strange thing was that when my speed dropped from around 5Mb to less than 1Mb on Sunday, the connection didn't drop, the router didn't resync (it had been up for 42 days at that point). I was playing a game online at the time and noticed the change immediately. I checked the router, saw the connection hadn't dropped and was still showing 7000kbps, but when I ran the BT speedtest it was only 816 Kbps.

When I phoned Zen's tech support the following afternoon, as soon as they checked the line stats there was a slight improvement although they insisted they didn't do anything. The result of the BT speedtest was then 3061 Kbps (a test download is only showing about half that speed), and that's how it's remained since.

I'm trying to borrow another router to try, and am hoping that will show a difference. If it doesn't. the only other thing I can try is changing the microfilters (though they reckon if that had been the problem it would have shown something in the stats).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to