Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-11 15:03:41
Print Post

Is interrogating a BT Hub possible?

[link to this post]

My brother and his missus lives out in the countryside, about 6km away from his exchange. They're unfortunately signed up with BTInternet.com and therefore use a 'BT Hub', the fancy BT name for an ADSL router-modem. My brother tells me that they get a measly 240K bps downstream speed, even after recently revamping the phone wiring in the house and specifically using it in wired mode. I personally know very little about the BT Hub but am wondering if it can be interrogated from the PC to get the line stats. Thus far, he's had to rely on an online speedtester to find out their downstream speed. Does anyone know if this is do-able?

Further to that, can the Hub be replaced by a more standard router, such as a Netgear, Thompson Speedtouch or whatever, with the appropriate username and password configured into the router? Or will the BT account not connect unless uniquely a Hub is attached? I've got a couple of spare routers he could try on the line when I next visit them. If one of those routers can connect, I'm pretty sure he'd achieve a better speed. The Speedtouch uses a Broadcom chip.

In order to help him, at distance, the very least I need to know from him is the line attenuation but the tester he's used doesn't give him that. I suspect he's used the BT Tester. I think his PC uses Windows ME.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 10-May-11 15:12:19
Print Post

Re: Is interrogating a BT Hub possible?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

Have they tried http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Tue 10-May-11 15:19:34
Print Post

You can get the line stats from the Hub's advanced menu's its all part of the browseable menu 192.168.1.254

And yes you can replace it with whatever router you want, assuming they are not using the BT VoIP phone handset

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Tue 10-May-11 15:51:41
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I you are looking for a new one, consider this, I have seen some positive results on long distances.

http://kitz.co.uk/routers/2wire_2700_HGV.htm

My views are my experiences.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 10-May-11 20:05:30
Print Post

6km and 240 k ... That might be the limit of speed, but without the stats, as you know, it is hard to tell.

If you can get a BT Business Hub - 2wire 2700HGV you will find it will normally sync at a higher speed than the residential hub and will hold up longer. They can be found on ebay for £10 or so ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 11:56:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, I've known about the 2700 for some years now and, at one point about a year ago, I recommended it to my brother, but he's a novice in this dept and in computing generally and has therefore been reluctant to spend money and experiment. But it'd obviously help if we could get a full set of stats from his existing Hub, as then some sensible conclusions could be drawn.

I've some spare Broadcom-based routers that could be tried on his line when I next see him. Possibly, with one of those, a few extra hundreds of K bps could be squeezed out of the line. I think his Hub is called a Type 2 Hub. Not sure.

Only recently in these forums, someone was saying they were on a very long line, getting attenuation of 62.5dB, and yet their downstream speed was around 1.8M bps.

My gut feeling is that there's still room for improvement in that 240K bps figure of my brother's.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 11-May-11 12:04:57
Print Post

Try it and see ... but you will possibly still get more from a 2-wire. Their modem front end was designed for them specifically and is one of the best on the market. Keep an eye on ebay though - there was a 2-wire that went for £0.99 last night and there are plenty there to choose from.

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-May-11 13:37:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have a long line - 6km with attenuation of 63dB (82.5dB @ 300Khz). Using a 2700 HG-V I'm getting between 768 and 896 kbps. Previously I used a DG834G v3 and managed 608kbs but the connection was unstable, particularly in the evening/night (very often no connection at all after 10.30pm).

The followig modems would not sync at all - DG834G v4, DSL-2640b, and DG834GT (all Broadcom chipsets).

For me installing a 2700 HG-V has proved very successful, not only a boost in speed but also much greater stability. I paid £12 for mine (inc delivery) but as has been pointed out you can get them even cheaper.

Good luck
Standard User FrenchUser
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 13:43:44
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Opps forgot to log in. So here goes again

I have a long line - 6km with attenuation of 63dB (82.5dB @ 300Khz). Using a 2700 HG-V I'm getting between 768 and 896 kbps. Previously I used a DG834G v3 and managed 608kbs but the connection was unstable, particularly in the evening/night (very often no connection at all after 10.30pm).

The following modems would not sync at all - DG834G v4, DSL-2640b, and DG834GT (all Broadcom chipsets).

For me installing a 2700 HG-V has proved very successful, not only a boost in speed but also much greater stability. I paid £12 for mine (inc delivery) but as has been pointed out you can get them even cheaper.

Good luck

Edited by FrenchUser (Wed 11-May-11 13:46:32)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 11-May-11 15:03:12
Print Post

[re: FrenchUser] [link to this post]

Good to hear your experience ... Yet again the superiority of the 2700 is demonstrated.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to