Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 23:06:10
Print Post

Which router has higher effective power / better antenna ?

[link to this post]

Hi my ZyXEL P661-HW router / stock antenna doesn't quite have enough effective power / sensitive ears to cover my whole house.

Is there a recognised router which is more powerful and/or has a superior antenna system?
I would like to try to keep below £150 if possible.

I have ADSL broadband over the telephone cable.

Many thanks for any advice.

Edited by VWGolfman (Sat 21-May-11 01:19:25)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 19:39:15
Print Post

Re: Which router has higher effective power / better antenna

[re: VWGolfman] [link to this post]

assume this does not exist.

assume you then look to a Powerline devce and another extra wireless device to extend the range in your house.

IanD
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-May-11 07:22:45
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Hi Ian and thank you.

What it is, I want to use my mobile device in a part of the house which is just on the fringe.
What you're suggesting sounds very professional but maybe a bit over kill for what I need.
What do ya reckon?

I see you can get longer antennas which claim to have so many dBi "gain" over a standard jobby.
Do you think one of these would help as the one on my Zyxel is just a little 4" thing?
Also what's the idea behind routers with two antennas? Does this give better coverage?

Thanking you once again wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sun 22-May-11 09:16:59
Print Post

You could get a better arial for your router or your could get a powerline with built in wireless access point to extend the range.

IanD
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sun 22-May-11 11:05:12
Print Post

Go for a Billion 7800N which has superb wireless coverage/speeds. Have a look at the reviews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadban...

If in the unlikely event the Billion still gives you wireless deadspots, then buy 3 of these and you will be broadcasting wifi to your whole street:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-ANT2408CL-2-4GHz-...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 22-May-11 11:07:06)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-May-11 11:15:33
Print Post

Before you spend and money (which will likely to be wasted) try something like http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/.

Power output is limited by regulations and aerials that often claim to increase gain do not. I certainly would not spend money on a 7800N unless you could get a guarantee it would work...bet it would not.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sun 22-May-11 11:46:52
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Before you spend and money (which will likely to be wasted) try something like http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/.

Power output is limited by regulations and aerials that often claim to increase gain do not. I certainly would not spend money on a 7800N unless you could get a guarantee it would work...bet it would not.

DrT

Well i don't think anything the OP tries is guaranteed to work...however some routers are better than others when it comes to wireless coverage. I would recommend to the OP to buy the Billion 7800N from Amazon on free delivery, try it for a few days and if no significant difference then return it back to Amazon for a refund citing poor coverage...in which case Amazon will refund the return postage costs as well. So nothing lost smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up