Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slybunda
(newbie) Sat 21-May-11 23:59:29
Print Post

Need Cheap ADSL Router (Broadcom 6358)

[link to this post]

whats the cheapest router i can get that uses the Broadcom 6358 chipset? i dont need anything fancy, no wireless or anything, just something rock solid reliable and fast.

i currenty use a draytek vigor2600vg and it syncs at around 4meg average on my bulldog line, today i tried a billion bipac 5200 RC and i was solid at 6meg. the bipac i borrown from cousin. i not sure what chipset it uses but from reading around the best modems use the Broadcom 6358 chipset. so i trying to find something cheapo based on that chipset.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-May-11 09:09:49
Print Post

Re: Need Cheap ADSL Router (Broadcom 6358)

[re: slybunda] [link to this post]

There is no such thing as "the best modems". It very much depends on what kit is installed at the exchange end.

In particular the huge focus in these forums on the Broadcom chip benefits is mainly to do with O2 and Be LLU, where Broadcom exchange equipment is used, and O2/Be use a setting on that which can improve performance if the user modem also has Broadcom.

What does the Bipac have? In fact what does the Draytek have? I confess I don't know.

Re the Broadcom 6358, that is quite rare except in the current expensive models. As far as I know the only significant difference from the very common 6348 is that the chipset supports wireless N, whilst the 6348 does not. As you aren't fussed about wireless I suggest you consider either.

So to answer your question, the SpeedTouch 585v6 and v7 are Broadcom 6348 based and seem to me to connect a few hundred kbps faster than the Netgears I'm about to list. However they aren't too good at handling noisy lines and can often overheat, causing trouble. The overheating is easily cured by propping one side up 1"/2.5cm to create a throughflow of air.

Netgears, the version number is very important. All the following are 834 models but only the versions I give (if I give a version) have Broadcom:-

834v4, 834Gv4, 834GT, 834PN, 834Nv1. The first of those does not have wireless, the rest do. Netgears are best stood on end - many have small detachable feet to do that. Possibly another heat problem and I would expect the ones without wireless to suffer less.

Those are 6348 chipsets apart from the 834Nv1 which is 6358.

There is also the later DGN2200. I think that is 6358 not 6348, as it supports wireless N.

Avoid 834v5, 834Gv5 and 834Nv2. Those are Conexant and seem to be poor on any connection.

834 and 834G v1,v2 and v3 are Texas Instruments AR7 chipsets and have a decent reputation, just not as good as Broadcom on O2/Be.

I suggest the place to look is on eBay. I believe there are a lot of Sky-badged 834s there. Those need unlocking to use them on other providers, but that seems to be easy enough, although I don't know how myself. Browse/ask around on these forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 22-May-11 09:15:26)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sun 22-May-11 11:34:31
Print Post

Re: Need Cheap ADSL Router (Broadcom 6358)

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is no such thing as "the best modems". It very much depends on what kit is installed at the exchange end.

In particular the huge focus in these forums on the Broadcom chip benefits is mainly to do with O2 and Be LLU, where Broadcom exchange equipment is used, and O2/Be use a setting on that which can improve performance if the user modem also has Broadcom.

Actually that's not true. Its generally accepted that Broadcom chipset based routers provide the best line speed and stablity irrespective of what equipment is used at the DSLAM in the exchange. For example TalkTalk use Infineon gear in their DSLAM so you might think a infineon chipset based router will give you the best connection? Wrong! The Talktalk supplied router Huawei HG532 (infineon chipset) syncs far lower than any broadcom based router on a talktalk LLU line.

Anyway to the OPs question, get the Billion 7700N. It uses a Broadcom 6358 chip and is reasonably priced @ £50
http://www.expansys.com/billion-bipac-7700n-wireless...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up