Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 03-Jun-11 15:44:33
Print Post

Billion 7800Nperformance and reliability

[link to this post]

I'm considering getting a 7800N to replace the freebie Thomson router supplied by Plusnet - it does the job but wireless performance is not great and I'd like a router with gigabit ethernet ports so I can do away with the cheap Netgear desktop gigabit switch too.

Can anyone tell me what performance is like, particularly with regard to wireless signal strength and ADSL connection reliability. I'm also very keen to know people's experience with the gigabit ehernet ports - do they support jumbo frames and what sort of network speeds (in Mbps or MBps) do you get? Is the built-in gigabit switch any good?

tia

Johno
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Fri 03-Jun-11 16:15:11
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800Nperformance and reliability

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

The 7800N has superb wireless coverage/speeds. Have a look at this review where it trounces all rivals:
http://www.cnet.com.au/billion-bipac-7800n-339300492...

The 7800N uses a Broadcom (6358) chipset which are widely ackknowledged to be the best in business. You can also alter the downstream SNR margin to give you a higher or lower sync speed. Can't comment on the gigabit port speeds as my wired LAN is only 100mbps.

If you still don't think this router is the dogs danglies then have a look at reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002TOKGL8/r...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up