Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knightnet
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:42:30
Print Post

Billion 7800N IPv6 Tunnel Configuration Help

[link to this post]

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum so please be patient smile

I have a new Billion 7800N router and would like to make use of its IPv6 capability.

However, because I am with PlusNet, I need to use a Tunnel Broker. So I've set up a tunnel configuration with HE.

The problem I have is that I can (just about) set up a tunnel using Windows or Linux but I don't know where to start on a router such as the Billion. I'm fine with IPv4 but rather lost with v6.

Does anyone here know how, or indeed if, to do this?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards, Julian Knight
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 13-Jun-11 23:27:00
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N IPv6 Tunnel Configuration Help

[re: knightnet] [link to this post]

Did you set up the rDNSn delegations? e.g. tunnelbroker gives instructions on your tunnel details page (select OS and instructions appear).

eta: the above is irrelevant if you have the tunnel working. I can't see a point in worrying about ip6 on your router until your ISP supports ip6.

Edited by john2007 (Mon 13-Jun-11 23:29:16)

Standard User knightnet
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:22:36
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for replying.

I've not yet set up rDNS as I don't yet have a working tunnel.

That's the problem, the settings in the Billion are far from clear!

As for why - well why not!! I want to learn about IPv6 - I can get it working on a PC fine but I don't want a permanently switched on PC just for an IPv6 playground when I have an expensive IPv6 capable router in use.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:59:01
Print Post

The Billion router settings are irrelevant for an ip4-ip6 tunnel. You construct the start of the tunnel on your PC. The Billion only becomes relevant when your ISP uses ipv6.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Jun-11 06:18:53
Print Post

I have a 7800N with 1.06d firmware. I did not need to make any changes to the router when setting up and running a 6-4 tunnel.

Are you aware the PlusNet are running an ipv6 trial?
Check the "ipv6 Trial" forum, there may still be spare places.

PB
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:22:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That's good to know, I didn't think router settings would need to be altered. I'm not with PlusNet, and even if was I'd not want to be a early adopter of ipv6 (a few bugs to be ironed out methinks smile).
Standard User AdamF
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 22:41:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by john2007:
The Billion router settings are irrelevant for an ip4-ip6 tunnel. You construct the start of the tunnel on your PC. The Billion only becomes relevant when your ISP uses ipv6.

Doing this will work (in which case almost any old router will do) but there are some disadvantages, i.e. it only provides ipv6 connectivity to one machine on your network, and the ipv6 connectivity to it is completely unfirewalled. Both these can be overcome by making a ipv6 capable router the end point of the 6to4 tunnel rather than a PC. If the ipv6 support on the Billion is anything like complete, then it should provide the option to do this. Unfortunately I can't provide details as I am using Cisco kit for this currently.
Standard User knightnet
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 22:57:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have a 7800N with 1.06d firmware. I did not need to make any changes to the router when setting up and running a 6-4 tunnel

Hi PB, thanks for replying. I think that you mean that you set up the tunnel on another PC right? I can do that easily enough, what I really wanted to try was to see if the router itself could be the termination of the tunnel.

It seems from my reading that it might just be possible since the 7800N runs an embedded version of Linux. radvd is running, from a ps command:
radvd -C /var/radvd.conf

The conf file seems OK, I've got the local LAN configured with the correct /64 address. So the bit that's missing is the tunnel assignment? Or is there something else as well? I'm just not familiar enough either with IPv6 nor Linux network configuration commands.

As for the PlusNet trial, yes I'm aware of it indeed but it filled up pretty quick. I've just sent out a post anyway to see if they are interested in anyone else.

Regards, Julian Knight
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 23:08:04
Print Post

Have you tried raising the question via a ticket on the Billion Support page?

They should know, and I've found them helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User knightnet
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 13:16:38
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Hi billford, thanks for the response.

I hadn't raised it with Billion and would have done so next. I first wanted to learn enough so that I could talk about it sensibly! I think I've achieved that now and I understand a lot more about IPv6 now thankfully.

Anyway, I've managed to grab a login for the PlusNet IPv6 trial so I don't really need to follow up on this any more. I have IPv6 working OK on the router and my network at least for outbound connections.

Inbound, I can ping the router but can't yet get anything inside the network. I've put an any/any inbound IP6 rule into the router firewall and tried turning off Windows firewall but still no joy so I've a bit of work to do to solve that one.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to