Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Wed 15-Jun-11 14:06:26
Print Post

Setting Target SNR

[link to this post]

On my Netgear DG834g v4 I have the ability to reset my target SNR via Telnet. At present my noise margin varies around 15db. Attenuation is 53 db and current sync rate is 1920kbps. If I set a different target SNR could I increase my sync? I would like to increase it a little to get an IP Profile of 2Mbps. I was on Adsl2+ but have downgraded to avoid the problems of a noisy line. If it is possible how much should I change my target by and which direction?
Standard User epyon
(learned) Wed 15-Jun-11 14:35:10
Print Post

Re: Setting Target SNR

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

Around 70% SNR should just get you there.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 15:52:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by tehidyman:
On my Netgear DG834g v4 I have the ability to reset my target SNR via Telnet. At present my noise margin varies around 15db. Attenuation is 53 db and current sync rate is 1920kbps. If I set a different target SNR could I increase my sync? I would like to increase it a little to get an IP Profile of 2Mbps. I was on Adsl2+ but have downgraded to avoid the problems of a noisy line. If it is possible how much should I change my target by and which direction?
I assume you have reset the DG834Gv4's ADSL mode from auto to G.Dmt.

I would now advise that you reduce your SNRM by 3dB to 12dB and then monitor the line status for a few days. If, after that monitoring period, the line still seems stable you might like to test a further 3dB reduction of the SNRM to 9dB.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-11 17:10:04
Print Post

Via TELNET:
adslctl configure --snr 50
to drop by 3 dB to 12 dB.
adslctl configure --snr 25
to drop by 4.5 dB to 10.5 dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
  Print Thread

Jump to