Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-11 11:33:29
Print Post

Newer WRT54G alternative?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to replace my server that current routes my cable connection for a router. First thought was WRT54G but I'd like a newer, better specced alternative to the WRT54G, in which I can run something a bit more powerful on - something like DD-WRT or Tomato perhaps?

Someone has pointed me in the direction of a DIR615 which looks like it'll do the job, but I'd quite like decent Wifi coverage for once and USB support would be a really useful feature.

That brings me to the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, which appears to officially support DD-WRT as well as having fairly decent reviews for it's Wifi performance. I've found them for £55.

Are there any other suggestions I should consider? I'm sure I've seen some fairly well specced routers in the past with the kind processing power that might make running usenet (sabnzd download,repair,extract) on the router viable? This is not essential, and I probably would not even do it initially, but it'd be quite cool to have that option available to me.

I think one of these mentioned was the Asus RT-N16, but it does seem a little pricey at over £100.

I should probably clarify that it is an ethernet router I'm looking for.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net>

Edited by mikehiow (Wed 29-Jun-11 11:36:01)

Print Thread

Jump to