Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:40:12
Print Post

FTTC PPPoE, multiple public IPv4 addresses, recommendations?

[link to this post]

I am in the process of signing up for FTTC (via Andrews & Arnold) with multiple public IP addresses. I intend to connect the VDSL modem direct to my home server (running Ubuntu 10.04) using its PPPoE support, but in case that doesn't go well I'm looking for router recommendations for "plan B" (have an extra router box plugged in and let it worry about PPPoE).

Many routers like the Buffalo model I currently use just for its wireless function support static routing rules but I'm having trouble finding information on whether this applies to packets coming in on the PPPoE interface or just those heading out. Can I assume that if I turn off the router's NAT function (which is an option) and set appropriate static route information, it will happily take packets for all my assigned public addresses as they appear on the PPPoE interface and send them to the LAN-side gateway address(es) I specify? If not (or you don't know as you've never dealt with this range of routers and don't want to guess), what routers do you use successfully in conjunction multiple public addresses?

My existing ADSL router has a "bridged mode" which simple shunts packets to and from the WAN and LAN sides so the little Ubuntu server's Ethernet interface sees packets for my public address as if the DSL line and router were not even there, it would be terribly convenient if I could find the same behaviour in a new router, but I'm not seeing "bridge mode" or "bridged mode" listed in the specs/manuals for any of the inexpensive PPPoE capable routers I've looked into.

Once I have packets for the assigned addresses flowing to the Ubuntu box's first NIC (whether via a router or by me getting it to perform PPPoE reliably itself) I know I can setup the rest (routing packets for the public addresses to where they need to go LAN-side and NATing outgoing connections from LAN-side desktops and laptops) fine... I can get by on the one address initially so could just try it all on the day the line is connected, if all else fails use the Buffalo to provide the connection with one address until I work out the Linux side of things or get a better router delivered, but I'd like to be a little more prepared than this if possible to minimise "working it all out" time and maximise "testing / playing with the new shiny" time on the day.

--------------------------------------------------------
Be* Pro, with UploadPlus, current sync: 11,351 down, 1,615 up
Previous ISP: Entanet, via Vivaciti, with sync rates generally at 7,616 down and 832 up [left due to a range of technical (poor speeds+latency, zero network resilience) and customer service issues (bad communication and such)]
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Aug-11 11:44:35
Print Post

Re: FTTC PPPoE, multiple public IPv4 addresses, recommendati

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

WNR2000v2 can do it with a firmware upgrade:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/eclipse/4034812-ftt...
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Sun 28-Aug-11 12:06:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC PPPoE, multiple public IPv4 addresses, recommendati

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I went with the linux-box-does-PPPoE-directly approach, which seems reliable.

The Buffalo router will happily map the extra IPv4 addresses to different local addresses and will obviously remap response packets as needed (or the other end would not understand what was going on), but it will mangle outgoing connections the same way so any connections opened here, no matter what local address the connection appeared to come from, appeared to come fro the main address.

I've kept the Buffalo as a fall-back (if things fail later, I can hook it up to detect whether the problem is general or something I've done wrong with my setup) but as making the little server talk PPPoE reliably turned out to be quite easy and thus far has been reliable I'll not be needing to buy in more hardware at this point.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to