Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johncleary
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:20:35
Print Post

Configuring a TP-MR3420 for use with a DSL modem

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I've been using my TP-MR3420 successfully for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday my BB was installed and I'm trying to get the DSL side of the connectivity working.

I have a Netgear DM111P v2 which is configured and is connecting to the internet ok. However I can work out how to get it working properly with the 3G router. I've connected it to the WAN port, set the config on the TP to WAN but it refuses to 'see' the internet. The WAN light is lit on the TP and the network light is on on the Netgear modem.

Can anyone help with what the WAN settings should be on the TP router?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:02:36
Print Post

Re: Configuring a TP-MR3420 for use with a DSL modem

[re: johncleary] [link to this post]

Try putting the Netgear into Bridge mode ... or just turn off the DHCP server in the Netgear.

Check that the Netgear's local IP address is appropriate for the TP to use as the gateway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User johncleary
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 07:52:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply MHC.

The modem is set to PPPoA/PPPoE bridging mode, it's not possible to switch off DHCP in this mode. The IP is default 192.168.0.1, where the main router is set to 192.168.12.1

The above configuration doesn't seem to work for some reason, I've also tried putting the default gateway and DNS settings from the ISP (from the modem) into the optional fields in the router WAN settings, that didn't work either :0(

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 09:10:29
Print Post

Doesn't the "12" put them on different sub-nets, so no way can they see each other?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Jul-11 09:12:44)

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jul-11 09:55:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Shouldn't matter Bob as the 12 address is on the lan side of the router and the 0 address is effectively on the wan side.

OP does the TP link show any wan ip address in it's web pages, not familiar with this kit so will have to be generic questions.

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 11:42:21
Print Post

Have you tried with nothing entered in the WAN setup and used the auto-detect? I found with my Buffalo that I couldn't get it working from manual setup, even though the values I entered appeared when using the auto-detect.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jul-11 13:35:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by johncleary:
Thanks for the reply MHC.

The modem is set to PPPoA/PPPoE bridging mode, it's not possible to switch off DHCP in this mode. The IP is default 192.168.0.1, where the main router is set to 192.168.12.1

The above configuration doesn't seem to work for some reason, I've also tried putting the default gateway and DNS settings from the ISP (from the modem) into the optional fields in the router WAN settings, that didn't work either :0(
Hi, not sure what you are wanting to setup here. To use the Netgear DM11Pv2 ADSL2+ router as your main router and maybe use the TP-Link TP-MR4320 wireless N Broadband cable router as a wireless access point.

Try this; disable DHCP in the TP-Link TP-MR4320 and connect the two routers LAN to LAN.

If you have the Netgear 192.168.12.1
then change TP-Link to 192.168.12.3

How to change the IP Address http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=67

Netgear DM111Pv2 Router has one LAN port, default IP Address 192.168.0.1
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/3791

TP-Link TP-MR4320 wireless N Broadband cable router has four LAN ports, default IP Address 192.168.1.1
http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL...

Orange WBC 21CN 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 875 kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Jul-11 14:14:33
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
Hi, not sure what you are wanting to setup here. To use the Netgear DM11Pv2 ADSL2+ router as your main router and maybe use the TP-Link TP-MR4320 wireless N Broadband cable router as a wireless access point.
The Netgear DM111P is not an ADSL2+ Router. It is a modem.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 03-Jul-11 18:37:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by johncleary:
Can anyone help with what the WAN settings should be on the TP router?

If I've correctly extrapolated what you've stated (I can't see your setup), you're using the Netgear as a PPPoA router and it's authenticating successfully with your (un-named) ISP. Easy way to check if it's connected OK is to connect a PC on its LAN port (default IP address 192.168.0.1/24).
If the above is correct and functioning as expected, you'll need to set the TP-MR3420's WAN port to DHCP or a VALID IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-254/24, GW 192.168.0.1, DNS 192.168.0.1 or your ISP's DNS servers.
As previously suggested by RockH, leave the TP-MR3420's LAN IP address as 192.168.12.x/24 (anything other than 192.168.0.x/24 - you can't 'Layer 3' route within the same subnet).

CAVEAT: You'll be double NAT'ed.

If you don't want to be double NAT'ed, you'll need to set the Netgear to 'bridge' mode (i.e. it won't be doing the PPPoA negotiation and it won't receive a WAN/PUBLIC IP address) and you should set the TP-MR3420's WAN port to PPPoE (if it's capable) and let it handle the PPPoE negotiation. It'll receive the PUBLIC IP address from your ISP on its WAN port.

**** IMPORTANT ****
If you don't want to be a DLM victim, disconnect the Netgear from the telephone line before trying the following - the Netgear will be rebooted.
And don't reconnect it to the telephone line until you're happy with your setup.

How do you get the Netgear DM111 V2 into 'bridge' mode?
I've no idea, but here's how you do it on a DM111 V1;

login to the Netgear
click setup wizard
select 'No. I want to configure the Modem by myself'
click Next
Leave VPI/VCI at 0/38 (I'm assuming that you are using UK specific firmware)
change 'Protocol' to 'RFC2684 Bridging'
click Apply
then click 'Restart Now'

Sit back and watch the progress screen.

You'll lose contact with the Netgear because the DHCP server is now disabled and your PC is set as a DHCP client, but if you give your PC a VALID static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-254/24, you'll be able to hit the Netgear's web interface @ 192.168.0.1.

Whilst you're logged in, you could (but I don't recommend it just yet) reconnect the telephone line and watch the Netgear sync with the DSLAM and see if you've been DLM'd.

Theoretically, if you now set your PC as a PPPoE client and enter the correct details, you should be able to connect to your ISP.

Now you need to set the TP-MR3420 WAN interface to connect to your ISP using PPPoE and connect the WAN port to the Netgear LAN port.

Good Luck!
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jul-11 23:38:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by E7er:
The Netgear DM111P is not an ADSL2+ Router. It is a modem.
Very confusing, the manufacture Netgear refers to the DM111Pv2 as ADSL2+ modem router.

User Manual Chapter 2
Managing Your Modem Router

This chapter describes how to perform management tasks on your ADSL2+ Modem Router DM111P(U)v2.

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/3791

I always thought a broadband DSL/cable router, connected to an ADSL modem router WAN to LAN, will not work.

Orange WBC 21CN 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 875 kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to