Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Jul-11 21:43:30
Print Post

Spec me an ADSL modem/router......

[link to this post]

...which is good on long lines (around 4000m).

Looking for something simple that does Zero IP Bridging if possible, and can disable the on board firewall / wireless etc etc.

I have a Pfsense firewall that will do all the routing / firewalling, and I have a wireless WDS already so got those covered. I have a /27 and a /29 to route, as well as my /32 for the WAN - plus a /30 available if the router doesn't do ZIPB.

I'm looking for stability first, speed second. It's going to be a BE line (if that makes any difference).

It's been a while since I've had ADSL and I last used a Cisco 1841, but the cost is a little out of my reach nowadays so I need to make best use of what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-11 22:33:19
Print Post

Re: Spec me an ADSL modem/router......

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Netgear DG834GT in modem mode. You can pickup an ex-sky one on e-bay for not alot, reflash with DG Team firmware and bob's your uncle.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 11-Jul-11 23:40:14
Print Post

Re: Spec me an ADSL modem/router......

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

For long / high attenuation lines get a BT Business hub, 2wire2700-HGV. It will need a couple of sotware tweaks to get it to work on non-BT lines but then turn wireless off and set it to bridge mode and you will be on te way.

The 2700 is one of te best long line modems around and can be picked up new for £5-£15 on ebay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to