Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cantoris
(learned) Tue 12-Jul-11 09:47:12
Print Post

Router for noisy line?

[link to this post]

I may be in the market for a new router in the not-too-distant future...

Currently I have a DG834Gv4 which I bought for its ability to cope better with noisy lines and let me alter the target SNR level as my v3 would disconnect every few minutes in the evening. I have to reboot my current model every time I connect my XBox though for XBox Live to work and it has no IPv6 support. I'm also getting some connection instability starting to return and I can't help but think the fact the box runs so hot all the time could be hastening it towards an early demise.

I do like NetGear routers for their configurability. What are the current crop like from the point of view of stability on a noisy line? I believe my v4 had a different chipset manufacturer to the previous ones and this is what gave it its stability. And do they support IPv6 yet?

My connection is SMPF at about 4Mpbs.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 09:55:33
Print Post

Re: Router for noisy line?

[re: cantoris] [link to this post]

The DGN2200 is a competent replacement for a DG834G: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

No IPv6, but it has a Broadcom chipset which are good performers.

Oliver.
Standard User cantoris
(learned) Tue 12-Jul-11 10:17:00
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the suggestion!

Ah Broadcom - I think that's what my v4 uses.

How do you know which router uses which chipset?

Do any consumer routers offer IPv6 yet, or support any of the transition technologies? I suppose this is something of a moot point at present though, as ISPs don't seem in a hurry to offer it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 12-Jul-11 10:22:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by cantoris:
Do any consumer routers offer IPv6 yet, or support any of the transition technologies? I suppose this is something of a moot point at present though, as ISPs don't seem in a hurry to offer it.
Several IPv6 routers around- my Billion 7800N is one, not sure about the 7700. Others can no doubt suggest more.

Several ISPs support it too, there's a list here (scroll down).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 10:28:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by cantoris:
How do you know which router uses which chipset?

Unfortunately Netgear don't readily publish what chipsets their routers use. I think all but their base model (DGN1000) use Broadcom these days, though.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to