Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 09:45:49
Print Post

Problem uploading firmware to new sky DG834GT

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
I have just got a spare DG834 GT from good old eBay. It's new and unused, came sealed in box. Has the sky firmware in it.
I am trying to flash the DGTeam firmware onto it as I have with my other DG834GT (Not sky) which I flashed easily using the web interface. I have tried all three methods described ion the DGTeam web site but non of them seem to work.
When I try via the web interface it says something like incorrect image (or word to that effect).
Using the windows recovery utility everything goes fine until I get to step 11 where I should see the routers mac address and select it, this comes up blank.
When I try on a Linux machine using the nftp utility the command seems to run without throwing up any errors in a second or two but doesn't do anything to the router.
I'm using ububtu running the command "sudo ./nftp -u eth0 firmwarefilename.img" in a terminal window. I'm a linux newbie smile
Now I seem to be stuck in idle mode and can't even hard reset.
I have followed the instructions on the DGTeam web site to the letter.
Am I missing something or have a bough a duff one? It seemed to look OK when I first logged into it using admin sky.
Any advice appreciated
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:06:58
Print Post

Re: Problem uploading firmware to new sky DG834GT

[re: crey] [link to this post]

Should you not 1st Flash the Sky DG834GT Router with Netgear generic Firmware before doing anything with DGTeam?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:15:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry should have said, I have also tried using latest generic downloaded from netgear frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:58:49
Print Post

Not sure if this is right place to ask this but..
I have been running this as a sudo xxxxx command but am now trying it logging in as super user using the command "sudo su -".
This gives me root access.
From there I CD to the directory containing the nftp executable file and my image file.
Now when I try to run it using the command "./nftp -u ethnum firmware.img" I get an error message "-su: ./nftp: No such file or directory"
if I do an "ls" command I see my nftp file and my images there.
What am I doing wrong??
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:54:02
Print Post

On the netgear recovery utiility are you using windows XP as you need to (I find anyway)

You basically need to insert sky firmware into the netgear recovery utility folder, and then at the step before it flashes the device switch the firmware to generic firmware... By this point it's already verified you're flashing Sky firmware.

When you put generic firmware in the folder, name it the same as the sky firmware and it doesn't realise you tricked it.

EDIT: Do exactly as XRaySpeX said in the link provided

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 13-Jul-11 11:55:11)

Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 13-Jul-11 15:28:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by crey:
Hi Guys,
I have just got a spare DG834 GT from good old eBay. It's new and unused, came sealed in box. Has the sky firmware in it.
I am trying to flash the DGTeam firmware onto it as I have with my other DG834GT (Not sky) which I flashed easily using the web interface. I have tried all three methods described ion the DGTeam web site but non of them seem to work.
When I try via the web interface it says something like incorrect image (or word to that effect).
Using the windows recovery utility everything goes fine until I get to step 11 where I should see the routers mac address and select it, this comes up blank.
When I try on a Linux machine using the nftp utility the command seems to run without throwing up any errors in a second or two but doesn't do anything to the router.
I'm using ububtu running the command "sudo ./nftp -u eth0 firmwarefilename.img" in a terminal window. I'm a linux newbie smile
Now I seem to be stuck in idle mode and can't even hard reset.
I have followed the instructions on the DGTeam web site to the letter.
Am I missing something or have a bough a duff one? It seemed to look OK when I first logged into it using admin sky.
Any advice appreciated

Done this loads of times.
You need to follow these instruction exactly as stated. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/...

You wont be able to update your firmware without using the netgear wizard util as in the link above.
After using the above indtructions you can use the DGTeam firmware

The above indtructions always have worked for me

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User crey
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 16:01:28
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Great thanks BP1 just what I need,, an idiots guide wink
Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 13-Jul-11 16:31:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by crey:
Great thanks BP1 just what I need,, an idiots guide wink

XRaySpeX post with his link and guide at the Kitz site seem easier and more user freindly then the link in my previous post. They instructions look the same but better layout at Kitz.

BTW - Dont forget if you are still with sky you will need your username and password from the router prior to doing your firmware upgrades.

Good luck

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-11 16:59:28
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Thanks! I never like finding tech. info. in a discussion thread; it can take ages to get to the crux of the matter (TBB excluded smile).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User crey
(regular) Thu 14-Jul-11 09:44:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well guys, I got it done but but not without difficulty.
I couldn't get the netgear recovery utility to work on any windows OS (including XP) . It got to the screen that is supposed to show you the mac address of the router to select but it was blank every time.
Anyway, I persisted with the linux option and eventually got it to flash the original image from the virgin cd. I then used the same to flash the latest generic netgear firmware which worked fine. I then flashed the DGTeam firmware through the browser interface and it's all up and running. Restored a copy of the settings from my online router and it all works fine.
Not sure why the windows recovery uitility didn't work, just glad I have access to several os's to mess with smile
Many thanks for all the help guys smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to