Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(newbie) Thu 14-Jul-11 13:47:40
Print Post

Billion 8200N - two questions...

[link to this post]

Hi all, I've just bought this, plugged it in and it's working fine so far (that's all of 30 minutes now!) but two questions - and please excuse me for being dim;

1. firmware is 1.06a, 1.06d seems to be available but how on earth do I get it? I follow the links on the Billion UK website and I seem to be stuck in knowledgebase. No matter what I do I can't find somewhere that actually offers firmware for download. Help!

2. Can I filter on MAC address so that only my devices can connect to the router? My previous routers (Netgear & Speedtouch) have allowed this, I can't find it in the Billion and the manual says "Using your routerís MAC Address Filter function, you can configure the network to block specific machines from accessing your LAN." which is the wrong way round, ie defining those to keep out rather than those to allow in.

Thanks,
John
Standard User JHo1
(newbie) Thu 14-Jul-11 14:26:41
Print Post

Re: Billion 8200N - two questions...

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

Scrub qn 1. I posted on the Billion website too, expecting a reply to take days and to come back infractured English full of business flim-flam. Billion came back in nothing flat and even attached a copy of the firmware as well as providing links. I'm well impressed. If it continues like this I'll be walking round town with a billboard saying "buy Billion routers".

John
Standard User nicotine
(member) Mon 18-Jul-11 17:49:55
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

JHo1,

I think you are talking about 7800N here not 8200N as only 7800 series has the 1.06d firmware.

This is the link for it: http://www.billion.uk.com/download/7800/UKBillion780...

MAC filter is actually under Advanced > Configuration > Firewall

You have options for both Ethernet and Wireless MAC filter there.

Be Pro 12Mbps

Billion 7800N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JHo1
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-11 18:58:18
Print Post

[re: nicotine] [link to this post]

You're quite right n. It's a 7800N. Oops. How on earth did I get that wrong? Thanks for the link that is exactly what I was looking for.

I hate to criticise Billion as the router is so good, but the manual could be a bit better. Ah well, can't have everything I suppose.

Thanks again.
  Print Thread

Jump to