Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Simon1987
(member) Tue 19-Jul-11 10:45:53
Print Post

adsl filters

[link to this post]

Has there been any testing done on which are the best? I quite fancy an adslnation faceplate for a cleaner install appearance but if its all [censored] and doesnt improve performance either Im not sure i will bother. What about the adsl faceplate bt install?
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Tue 19-Jul-11 11:49:32
Print Post

Re: adsl filters

[re: Simon1987] [link to this post]

Do a speed test using a direct connection to the Master Sockets Test connection. Cut the Bell Wire if it hasn't already been done.

Then, compare it to any other connection using your chosen filter(s).

If speeds are the same, you have a good one!

In my (limited) experience, I have never found any difference in several filters I have tried over the years.

I believe the filter has a straight through connection for ADSL- it only filters out the 'phone frequencies.

Now using BT's FTTC faceplate, so dangly filters are a thing of the past.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 19-Jul-11 13:29:59
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
Do a speed test using a direct connection to the Master Sockets Test connection. Cut the Bell Wire if it hasn't already been done.

Then, compare it to any other connection using your chosen filter(s).

If speeds are the same, you have a good one!

In my (limited) experience, I have never found any difference in several filters I have tried over the years.

I believe the filter has a straight through connection for ADSL- it only filters out the 'phone frequencies.

Now using BT's FTTC faceplate, so dangly filters are a thing of the past.

It maybe straight through for the DSL signal but the quality of the filter does make a difference - for example, how well does it filter out DSL signal from the voice circuit? How does it alter the characteristic impedance of the line which can then affect the received DSL signal level and apparent attenuation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 19-Jul-11 13:43:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jul-11 15:06:22
Print Post

Finally found the link:

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

has a nice write-up of most filters around. Note the advice regarding some of the cheaper (Chinese) ones that have very few components.

Hope it helps.

Regards John
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jul-11 16:18:10
Print Post

With regards to a faceplate you can see if there is any potential for improvement by removing your current faceplate and connecting the modem/router to the test socket without any telephone devices connected. If you see an improvement then fitting a filtered faceplate i likely to help, if no improvement is seen then a faceplate will not help.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:39:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Or, you could look at the tests here. FWIW the only ones I've known to fail have been the ADSL Nation ones which are generally well regarded. They were replaced without question. However, whether the fact they use active rather than passive circuitry makes any difference to their reliability is open to question. Others with more detailed technical knowledge may have more experience.

For some time I have used the ones supplied by Clarity with no problems; they are probably identical to the Pressac ones. YMMV of course.

HTH
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:18:17
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tacitus:
For some time I have used the ones supplied by Clarity with no problems; they are probably identical to the Pressac ones. YMMV of course.

HTH

Ditto that. Clarity ones for me. Never used any others. They work.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Wed 27-Jul-11 11:20:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It's the otherway around...

The 'phone frequencies are filtered out from interfering with the higher frequencies of ADSL.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 27-Jul-11 11:36:46
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
It's the otherway around...

The 'phone frequencies are filtered out from interfering with the higher frequencies of ADSL.
Ermm... no.

The connection to the ADSL modem is unfiltered (straight through), the modem has to cope with whatever arrives down the phone line.

The connection to the phone is filtered, to remove the ADSL signal. The filter will also reduce any high frequency signals that the phone may be producing, but that's secondary as it shouldn't be producing any in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... [New]_______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 27-Jul-11 11:45:10
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Exactly ... plus there is also a high pass filter in the modem front end to remove any voice components and DC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to