Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agkq62
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 08:50:28
Print Post

DG834g v4 Replacement

[link to this post]

A couple of years back I had terrible trouble with the speed on my connection due to the distance I am from the exchange. On recommendation from this forum I bought a Netgear DG834G v4 and that has run superbly and is rock solid. Any recommendations for a replacement spare? Is it worth picking up asecond-hand unit?

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 11-Aug-11 09:13:34
Print Post

Re: DG834g v4 Replacement

[re: agkq62] [link to this post]

Get a BT Business hub ... 2wire2700HGV you can get a still sealed unit for £10 on ebay. You may even find it has better performance than the Netgear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User quintmixt
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 09:50:59
Print Post

I had a DG834G and also found it rock solid even though I am also a long way from the exchange like agkq62. (The upmarket DG834GT was no good at all - it was a joke). However on transferring to a BT contract to reduce the cost a bit, they sent me a Homehub out of the blue (free!) so I thought I'd try it. Not only was it rock solid but I got an immediate speed increase from a pathetic 1.8 Mb/s to over 2 Mb/s. Since then the speed has been creeping up bit by bit and only this morning it was running at 4.2 Mb/s, which it has been for some time. I don't know why this is. Maybe they are upgrading their system all the time. But I'm not complaining. Maybe the latest home hub will be even better. All I can say is that you might find it worth trying a BT device, even a second hand one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 11-Aug-11 09:56:43
Print Post

If you do look on eBay make sure you check the description carefully. Some classed as "new" are in fact "new other" and may be incomplete or without warranty or untested or unreturnable or all of the above etc.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Aug-11 19:10:24
Print Post

If it ain't broke don't fix it tongue

Why not check out the Bay for another v4

Have a read through this if you are going to get a 2Wire 2700HGV

For my longish 20CN connection the DG834GT loaded with DGTeam firmware (allows some tweaking) has proved to be reliable

Link Power State: L0
Mode:			G.DMT
Channel:		Interleave
Trellis:		ON
Line Status:		No Defect
Training Status:	Showtime
		Down		Up
SNR (dB):	7.4		17.0
Attn(dB):	61.5		30.5
Pwr(dBm):	19.5		12.3
Max(Kbps):	4384		888
Rate (Kbps):	4032		448

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Thu 11-Aug-11 19:11:36)

Standard User agkq62
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 19:32:22
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. As the 2700hgv is so cheap on Ebay I think I will buy one and experiment with it. It will be interesting to see how it compares.
  Print Thread

Jump to