Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Sat 20-Aug-11 08:31:03
Print Post

Vista: double LAN connection

[link to this post]

A simple query, but I'm foxed.

How do I stop a Vista connection seeing two LAN connections to a single router (Netgear 1000) so that it connects locally only, and not to the internet. I cannot find a way to remove or disable the one unwanted "unidentified network" of these connections, which seems to be causing the problem. Only the correct connection shows up in the Network Connections folder. Rebooting the computer and router makes no difference, neither does using system restore! The problem has just started.

At the moment I've worked around and made a connection via PPPoE bypassing the router.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 08:48:21
Print Post

Re: Vista: double LAN connection

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

are there two physical connections (if so, why ?) or is one imaginary ?

does 'route print' give any clues ?
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/...

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:02:24
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Only one physical connection of course, so the new LAN "unidenttified network" is imaginary. I'll study the article, thanks! The problem just started after waking the PC from hibernation, but persists after reboot.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:14:29
Print Post

I've seen references to problems on awake from hibernate. Reboot may not fix it as the LAN ports stay live for Wake on LAN. Power off and restart might, if not then actually unplugging from mains / pressing power button to exhaust capacitors / plugging in and starting up should clear anything temporary.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:25:41
Print Post

I seem to remember having a problem years ago caused by the existence of the 10.0.0.n range as well as the 127.n.n.n range in my Firewall network permissions? Do you think that may be related Phil?

IIRC I removed the 10 range from the firewall.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 09:31:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

could be, route print will show what the OS thinks it has available.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Sat 20-Aug-11 10:36:33
Print Post

Power/restart didn't cure. Unfortunately your message came through as I was having another go at SysRestore, which didn't successfully complete but seemed to cure the problem on the restart so couldn't test the unplug/power exhaust (which I should have thought of, sorry!).

I'm out of my depth with the route print screen but although it contains lots of destination addresses the only gateway shown is 192.168.1.1 which is the router, and in addition 127.0.0.1 appears as an additional interface (which seems right: the software firewall?). I assume this shows the ghost has for the moment disappeared. There's no 10.n.n.n.

Edited by smurf46 (Sat 20-Aug-11 10:37:33)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-11 18:57:23
Print Post

127.0.0.1 is effectively the internal IP of the PC - TCP loopback address, should be one of two interfaces at the top of the route print output.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to