Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 21-Aug-11 11:56:54
Print Post

Is there a router where you can specify min sync speed?

[link to this post]

Hi,

My line is capable of syncing day and night at around 7Mb/s with about 8db noise margin. This is good. I am happy with this.

The problem I have is that during working day hours I get random short periods of noise of the order of a few minutes from some unknown appliance between me and the exchange that cause disconnects and if the router reconnects during the noisy period then the sync speed can be very low <1Mb/s. This shoots my IP profile to hell for days at a time.

I would much rather that my router refuse to resync below a set speed of my choice because I'd take the extra few minutes of outage over the multiple days of BT's punitive IP profile capping.

Does such a router exist where I can say "don't sync below xMb/s"?

Regards,
- Andy
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 12:01:53
Print Post

Re: Is there a router where you can specify min sync speed?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

With certain routers you can specify the target noise margin, however this may break BT's profiling system and leave you on a permanently high margin and low speed.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Aug-11 13:35:53
Print Post

I don't think there is.

As BatBoy says, some routers can be made to play with things, but they wouldn't achieve what you need.

Approaching it from another side - do you have to be on a BT IP Profile based ISP? If you have LLU suppliers at your exchange then you avoid the problem. That's one of the main advantages of LLU.

Please post the link to what samknows says about your exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 13:43:20
Print Post

IIRC the draytek 2800 (NOT 2820) allows targeting of sync speed in some form.. A search will no doubt bring something up - don't just take my word for it.

(Unregistered)Sun 21-Aug-11 13:57:47
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

No there is no real way to stop it happening, each isp configure their Dslams ect to force a re sync when a connection reaches the set threshold for things such as the error rate within a given time and several other factors, that is on top of any DLM if active on the connection, so setting the downstream noise margin higher won't stop it re syncing , if your isp did not use DLM you would not get a reduction in sync speed at all,
This interference /noise could well be so strong that it degrades the ADSL signal so much it looses sync, only way to stop that is by the source of it being traced and dealt with from there a job for your isp and bt openreach
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Aug-11 14:31:18
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

That would be good, as long as it refuses to sync. The tweaking methods involve sync'ing, then re-sync'ing, which almost certainly wouldn't stop the IP Profile falling.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Aug-11 14:33:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
No there is no real way to stop it happening, each isp configure their Dslams ect to force a re sync when a connection reaches the set threshold for things such as the error rate within a given time and several other factors, that is on top of any DLM if active on the connection, so setting the downstream noise margin higher won't stop it re syncing , if your isp did not use DLM you would not get a reduction in sync speed at all,
This interference /noise could well be so strong that it degrades the ADSL signal so much it looses sync, only way to stop that is by the source of it being traced and dealt with from there a job for your isp and bt openreach
Are you the OP, or another Anon? If the OP, please can we have the samknows link smile.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 21-Aug-11 14:55:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I wish there were LLU suppliers at my exchange (Kelvedon). There's only BT wholesale and no cable.

The noisy periods are quite extreme and very clearly defined. Monitoring the state with routerstats shows a nice steady SNR, then suddenly bam! some guy down the road starts playing with his tesla coil and off goes my connection followed by some pretty bad noise (audible on the phone line too) for about 10 mins until stability returns.

Do you reckon BT would investigate this kind of problem? It's clearly outside my house where it's happening but I know what these companies are like with intermittent problems: "it was fine when we tested it thank you and your ticket is closed, goodbye."
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 14:59:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Do you reckon BT would investigate this kind of problem? It's clearly outside my house where it's happening but I know what these companies are like with intermittent problems: "it was fine when we tested it thank you and your ticket is closed, goodbye."

Openreach and many ISPs will wash their hands of problems with REIN/interference on the line if the physical copper tests ok, as they regard that as the limit of their remit. If downtime occurs whilst the engineer is present then you stand a chance of it being investigated, otherwise no. Worse still, if the copper tests ok to the exchange, you could be handed a bill of around £130 for the visit.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Aug-11 15:54:52
Print Post

frown
That's rotten. Not a lot can be done.

There is one trick that worked nearly every time for me on a dodgy line, on the occasions when I got landed with a low profile.

The way the DLM works is that the larger the percentage jump in sync following, the faster the IP Profile rises.

So given a poor profile, I used to force a resync with the noise margin set as high as possible, preferably as late as possible without running into the normal evening noise increases. This gave the lowest possible sync and within minutes the IP profile to go with it. Then resync again with the noise margin set as high as possible without risking over-night reconnection.

The result was that the profile rise would happen over-night.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to