Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jinger
(learned) Wed 24-Aug-11 21:27:12
Print Post

Netgear DG1000N problem??

[link to this post]

I have a Netgear DG1000N router supplied by Orange and since using this router and being switched over to WBC from LLU I am experiencing a lot of instances where I lose my internet. The router log shows this mostly as 'LCP down' and the only way to get it back up again is to reboot the router.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand 'LCP Down' to mean that the sync of the ADSL signal from exchange to router has been lost. (Orange tell me it's because the server won't accept my password and so it disconnects me.)

I'm getting very fed up of this happening and sometimes have to reboot my router over 5 times in a day. I've contacted Orange many times about this but they're not bothered about looking into it - they just tell me to reboot and not worry!

Is there anything I can do from my end to stop this happening? I can't flash the firmware as Orange has the router locked down but I know there's an upgrade available.

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-11 12:25:54
Print Post

Re: Netgear DGN1000 problem??

[re: jinger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jinger:
I have a Netgear DG1000N router supplied by Orange and since using this router and being switched over to WBC from LLU I am experiencing a lot of instances where I lose my internet. The router log shows this mostly as 'LCP down' and the only way to get it back up again is to reboot the router.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand 'LCP Down' to mean that the sync of the ADSL signal from exchange to router has been lost. (Orange tell me it's because the server won't accept my password and so it disconnects me.)

I'm getting very fed up of this happening and sometimes have to reboot my router over 5 times in a day. I've contacted Orange many times about this but they're not bothered about looking into it - they just tell me to reboot and not worry!

Is there anything I can do from my end to stop this happening? I can't flash the firmware as Orange has the router locked down but I know there's an upgrade available.
Hi jinger, for Orange the MTU in the router should be 1492

Also in your username have you entered the required @fs

The Orange supplied Netgear DGN1000 router is not locked to Orange.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

Router settings
encapsulation: PPP over ATM
multiplexing method: VC-Based
virtual circuit: VPI=0 VCI=38
modulation: Multi mode
authentication: CHAP
MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) 1492

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sat 27-Aug-11 16:54:30)

Standard User jinger
(learned) Sun 28-Aug-11 18:39:48
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Yes, all my router settings are correct. Yes I'm putting in my correct username.

If the router isn't locked down by Orange, then why can I not update the firmware???

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 21:16:54
Print Post

[re: jinger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jinger:
Yes, all my router settings are correct. Yes I'm putting in my correct username.

If the router isn't locked down by Orange, then why can I not update the firmware???
Hi jinger, to upgrade the Netgear DGN1000 router firmware…

I first create a directory on my computer C:\Netgear DGN1000 Router

Then go to the Netgear website and download the firmware file (DGN1000WW_V1.1.00.41.img) to that directory.

1. Then login to the router administration GUI using a web browser.

The default administration URL is http://192.168.0.1 The default username is admin and password is password

2. In the router under Maintenance, click on Router Upgrade.

3. Locate and Select the Upgrade File from your Hard Disk [Browse] C:\Netgear DGN1000 Router

4. Click Browse and locate the firmware upgrade image file (.img) you just downloaded.
5. Click Upload to start the upgrade. Wait for the upgrade progress bar to complete and final prompt to appear.
Do not interrupt the router upgrade process.

Standard User GonePostal
(newbie) Sun 28-Aug-11 21:52:25
Print Post

jinger

To upgrade the firmware, you may also need to be connected by wire to the router rather than using the wireless connection.

Edited by GonePostal (Sun 28-Aug-11 21:53:22)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 23:37:49
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
jinger

To upgrade the firmware, you may also need to be connected by wire to the router rather than using the wireless connection.
Hi GonePostal, good thinking there. wink

When updating firmware always connect with Ethernet cable to the router NOT by wireless connection.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Mon 29-Aug-11 00:10:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
In reply to a post by GonePostal:
jinger

Hi GonePostal, good thinking there. wink

When updating firmware always connect with Ethernet cable to the router NOT by wireless connection.

Unless you want to brick the router, like I have far too many times! Such a chore sorting things out then

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Aug-11 00:10:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 30-Aug-11 20:53:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I found my software firewall could screw it up as well.

The time I forgot, I also forgot to disable it when trying to unbrick, using the Netgear recovery tool on an 834N. That bricked it so well the hardware ID isn't detected by the recovery tool any more, as the recovery had got to a point where it appeared to have removed it before falling over.

Exit one 834N!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to