Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheCodexNecro
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 22:17:39
Print Post

Router Guidance?

[link to this post]

Hey everyone.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me a little advice on my next router purchase.

The problem is, I currently use a Netgear DG834PN on a 24mb o2 connection. Great reliable, fast router. The only problem is that the range isn't good enough. I'm barely getting a wireless signal down in the kitchen.

Few questions

1. Would switching to a dual band router help my coverage issues? (thought it would be due to interferance)

2. If so, which router would be best to use on an o2 connection? I've heard that I should go for one with a Broadcom chipset.

My network is shared between myself and 4 other computers. All online gaming constantly. I don't mind paying up to £150.

Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700, but it seems a lot of Be users are having problems with it losing connection at the moment. Any have experience of this?

O2 Broadband Premium 16mb

Edited by TheCodexNecro (Thu 25-Aug-11 03:45:02)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 25-Aug-11 06:56:16
Print Post

Re: Router Guidance?

[re: TheCodexNecro] [link to this post]

Sorry can't help with your specific query. Stuck on a Netgear DG834Gv3 myself. Could you not relocate the router to a more central location? Have you tried changing the wireless channel.
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 25-Aug-11 08:43:08
Print Post

I went from a DG384GT to a DGN2000

allot better wireless range

but if you're looking for something brand new

the billion 7800n is probably you're best best and it can also be used with fiber services in the future

have you tried changing channels on you're router try 11 or something that may help.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Thu 25-Aug-11 08:43:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Aug-11 09:03:06
Print Post

What sort of signal do you get in the kitchen from the O2 box?

Have you also installed InSSIDer? Brilliant at avoiding clashing channels - as suggested by john2007.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-11 11:40:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey RobertoS - Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting only one signal bar on computers in the kitchen. Using a Netgear DG834PN - Not o2.

I'll take a look at that application you linked. Thanks a lot for that smile

O2 Broadband 24mb
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-11 11:43:24
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Hey there epyon, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've tried 11 as well, but for some reason, 1 seems to work better.

I've heard a lot about that Billion router and it looks tempting.

I guess now it just comes down to that and the DGNG3700 that I mentioned in my first post. I'm so tempted to take the gamble and go for it.

O2 Broadband 24mb
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-11 11:46:19
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply John2007.

mmm, the reason I don't move the router away from the room it's in at the moment is due to me being on Ethernet. I won't go wireless even if someone paid me. I need the best connection for gaming, and although wireless tech has come a long way, I'm still not wanting to trust it smile The ironic thing is, I hate cables. So having the router close to my main machine is ideal.

Plus, it's about time I took an upgrade anyway. Had this old DG834PN for a long time now. I'm going to look at the app RobertoS mentioned in the previous post first, though, since if that improves the problem, I won't need to upgrade.

O2 Broadband 24mb
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-11 12:10:28
Print Post

Alright, I'm back with results.

Tried that application and i'll attach a screenshot.

Clicky!

The BT hub which is shown is the one next door, I assume. My netgear is getting a much poorer signal, even when I switched to less busy channel.

I think this is a range issue here from the looks of it, although I may be wrong. Since i'm not too keen to move the router itself, I think i'm going to have to take the risk and upgrade to a newer box.

O2 Broadband 24mb
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 25-Aug-11 14:46:42
Print Post

I may be wrong but I believe that wireless standards mean there may be no range benefit from a new device (the laws about radio interference seem to be adhered to).
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 25-Aug-11 15:23:12
Print Post

Ohh wow

well thats to bad

i'm nearly 100% a new router will help also the DG384PN is just not great for wireless in general i'm sure a DG384GT would beat it actually just due to it being pretty much an experimental model for MIMO wireless

good thing you're not like me

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Thu 25-Aug-11 15:27:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to