Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DougMacp
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 11:07:10
Print Post

which Netgear router?

[link to this post]

Hi, i rec'd a Netgear DGN1000 with my Orange connection. When i look at the Netgear site, under the 'Product specs' tab - linked below - it implies that, as the most basic router - it won't support 'online gaming', and 'HD streaming' - yet the speed is up to 150mbps and I only connect at between 3.5mbps and 4.5mbps. The 'online gaming' will be done via ethernet cables but a lot of the streaming would be done wirelessly. I've only just connected with Orange so I'll give the router a chance but will i need to upgrade the router to get the best from these services in the future? Or are router manufacturers just misleading me in the hope i'll upgrade to their highest spec devices? My connection speeds will likely reach max 8mbps over the next few years once ADSL2+ arrives but unlikely to get higher in the next few years.
Any help / info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Netgear link

Edited by DougMacp (Mon 29-Aug-11 11:46:08)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 11:13:12
Print Post

Re: which Netgear router?

[re: DougMacp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DougMacp:
Or are router manufacturers just misleading me in the hope i'll upgrade to their highest spec devices?

Yes, that one! The higher spec routers will most likely have more advanced QoS to prioritise gaming and streaming over torrents, but if you do the prioritising yourself it will be fine.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Aug-11 11:52:05
Print Post

No idea about the router, but unless you have significant home wiring problems and correct them, then "I only connect at between 3.5mbps and 4.5mbps .... My connection speeds will likely reach max 8mbps over the next few years once ADSL2+ arrives ..." is whistling in the wind.

You are very unlikely to gain any speed at all from ADSL2+ I'm afraid frown. Look along the speed lines on this graph.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 12:34:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep!
The line speed (Mbps) is dependent on line quality the (Attenuation dB).

The exchange must have ADSL2+ to give you up to 20Mbps speed.

Nice graph http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/networkin...

ADSL described http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subs...

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 13:30:33
Print Post

Hi Doug, the Orange supplied Netgear DGN1000 router will be okay for gaming, it’s a good little router, make sure it’s on a solid flat surface for cooling. I wish it displayed more information for the Router Stats, I like the colour. wink

My Netgear DGN1000 Router Stats
ADSL Link …………..Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 11000 Kbps 1203 Kbps
Line Attenuation …27.0 dB ……..14.8 dB
Noise Margin ………..7.4 dB .……….6.0 dB

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User DougMacp
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 16:31:03
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies...ref RobertoS's graph - looks like I've been brainwashed by BTs marketing stats. The graph doesn't hold out much hope for me as my attenuation is at 47dB downstream and noise margin at 6.0. Nearly double E7ers stats. Just connected today, will this settle down and improve or, since Orange are using the same equipment as previous ISP - BT - are the stats unlikely to change. Incidentally, the wireless coverage is lousy compared to the old Homehub 2 router. Unless I'm loitering very close to the hub i lose coverage very quickly.
  Print Thread

Jump to