Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Sat 10-Sep-11 12:22:28
Print Post

BT2700HGV Resetting Itself

[link to this post]

I have been working regularly from my home office since April of this year. Over the past 2 months I have noticed that my trusty 2700HGV Business Hub (on a Zen connection) occasionally resets itself, once per day (that I actually notice). It's as if the power connection was being switched off and on again. It's the click of an internal relay in the router which alerts me to this event.

I am on a long line from the exchange and I suspect that the line is deteriorating, as my sync has fallen from a previous 1750k down to 1450k. Also the connection occasionally drops when using certain applications (Xbox gaming & Skype) and the phone rings.

Does anyone know if a dodgy line would cause the router to reset itself in this way?

I suppose I should experiment with spare router, master socket, new filters!!!!!

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 10-Sep-11 12:34:04
Print Post

Re: BT2700HGV Resetting Itself

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

I'd try a new filter first. It might be worthwhile to monitor your stats with something like RouterStats. http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Sep-11 14:26:40
Print Post

Hi, I had the power adapter on a BT Business Hub 2700HGV version1 router fail, I bought another new BT 2700HGV version2 router complete with new power adapter on ebay.
Itís worth investing in another 2700HGV router for a spare. wink

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Sun 11-Sep-11 12:50:59
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I already have a spare 2700HGV (£5 off Ebay).

However, it has Ver6 firmware pre-loaded so I don't want to give up on my older router running Ver 5 just yet.

Nothing to stop me experimenting except spare time and an understanding family!!!

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Standard User Wheel_Nut
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Sep-11 00:50:20
Print Post

Try swapping the Power Supply and see if it settles the drops.

..........................................................................................................
"When not prompted by vanity, we say little." - La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

PlusNet BBYW Pro - Lite Customer from Feb 2009
NewNet Customer 2007 - Feb 2009
PlusNet Customer 2003 - Feb 2007
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 13:34:10
Print Post

Just a few points for information....

There is alternative firmware available. I happened across mention of Qwest firmware being installed on v6 2700's. As the result of a Bulk ebay buy I have a few 2700's that now have this firmware installed, although I'm not sure if the variable power setting for wi-fi actually works. It does have a simpler user interface, but lacks the in depth stats that the BT firmware offers. They have been useful for other peoples set ups that I look after.

My 2700 used to reset at random times, I found that moving it to the opposite side of the flat helped, as it no longer overlooks a sub station located outside. I have used a Qwest loaded 2700 as a wi-fi bridge to maintain signal to an out building as moving the ADSL router dropped the wi-fi signal beyond usable.

I 'm not sure is any of this is of use to you, but I hope that someone can make use of the information.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot

Edited by warweezil (Sun 18-Sep-11 14:19:57)

Print Thread

Jump to