Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BigBeta
(newbie) Wed 21-Sep-11 03:10:05
Print Post

Dual DSL Lines (Bonding Hardware Help)

[link to this post]

Recently I ordered a second DSL line, and have run into a few hiccups here.

Where I live is pretty remote and the only service provided is 1.5Mb speeds. I ordered another line and have a DrayTek router for both connections. However the problem is, they only load-balance.

I'm looking for a router that is capable of doing Bonding of the two DSL lines. I recently heard about this server that can bond the lines for you for a small fee of $25 a month by sending you two routers that have their firmware adjusted to work with their setup. I have heard many great things about them and one guy who is extremely happy with them. (link: http://us.sharedband.com/)

If possible I would rather not pay an additional $25 a month for something I am fairly sure you could do within your house via hardware.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-Sep-11 00:05:56
Print Post

Re: Dual DSL Lines (Bonding Hardware Help)

[re: BigBeta] [link to this post]

Which ISP(s) are your two lines?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BigBeta
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 02:58:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Which ISP(s) are your two lines?

CenturyLink.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 22-Sep-11 09:14:30
Print Post

to do proper "bonding" does require something at the other end - either the ISP or a remote data centre - that presents a single IP address for your traffic, otherwise you're left with per packet or similar load sharing approaches.

Some VPNs will work over multiple links, but again need a server or service at the other end.

Sharedband has an ISP end server and the modified routers.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Thu 22-Sep-11 10:49:41
Print Post

Andrews and Arnold (http://aa.net.uk) let you bond lines at an IP level i.e. send and receive traffic from one (set of) addresses on both lines. This works pretty well in general but can have some odd effects for protocols that are very fussy about packet order.
Eclipse have also just launched a bonded line service that is pretty transparent to the user (I suspect using sharedband's technology or similar) though I haven't used it (yet)

A couple of other providers do other similar things e.g. fluidata but they are more business focussed.
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 22-Sep-11 13:34:10
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Hes located in the USA.

BE*Unlimited 18317/1429Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Thu 22-Sep-11 14:22:01
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Ah. I hadn't realised that. I suspect ADSL doesn't work too well over 3000mile phone lines...
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 22-Sep-11 16:05:20
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
Ah. I hadn't realised that. I suspect ADSL doesn't work too well over 3000mile phone lines...

This

though to get actual bonded lines you need you're ISP to take part or its no go.

BE*Unlimited 18317/1429Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Freedom86
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 16:20:51
Print Post

Out of personal experience, if you get the Draytek LB Rules correct then it functions as good as a Bonded line, especially where a bonded line is impractical.

You just have to chose how to split your traffic correctly. In one case splitting https traffic and http traffic through a slow and fast connection respectively is good enough. In others, you may want to split off half the department using LAN Port filtering.

In other words, many options are available depending on how you use the data!
Standard User BigBeta
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 18:28:37
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Hey all, thanks for the information. So it would seem I wasted money on this DrayTek after all. That really stinks :/ It's past time to return it, too.

I have ordered service with Sharebond and should have the two routers by the end of the week. I did some tracerts to their IP and only had 9 hopes from my location to Chicago, and never went over 60 ping (that's great news for me)

Because I am running a business from home and game a lot, I think the hops and ping will work out well. It just kinda stinks it's an additional $25 a month, but I can't expect much from CenturyLink service out here. They have given me the worst service I have ever had to deal with.

I miss my 20Mb!

Thanks again folks for helping me understand this more, I needed some teachings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to