Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andrewh1973
(newbie) Sat 01-Oct-11 10:47:43
Print Post

D-Link DSL-2640R

[link to this post]

I've had a D-Link DSL-504 for nearly 10 years. It was a reliable bit of kit but of course with the advent of ADSL2 in my area, it was time to upgrade. So I went for a DSL-2640R earlier in the year but frankly I'm starting to regret it.

Issues seen so far:

- Router will not always connect upon reboot, red fault light comes on and stays on. Only way to get it to reconnect in this case is to leave it turned off for 15 minutes OR to plug in my old router for even just a few seconds and then disconnect it.

- Log page is awful to the point of being useless when it does actually work, but mostly it doesn't and serves up a mangled page with JavaScript code visible - i.e. invalid markup.

- connecting to my employer's VPN with it has proved troublesome. It mostly works but inexplicably it will randomly decide to not work fully with VPNs on WIFI connections - i.e. the VPN will connect but computers on the VPN cannot be pinged etc. Works fine on CAT5 cable though.

- web based admin seems to randomly go into a coma even though access via telnet is still possible and router otherwise works normally.

- The router has v1.06 firmware. There is an update to it on the d-link site to v1.11 but any attempt to update firmware results in a 500 error after the update firmware button has been pressed.

Anyone else had similar issues or is this just a dodgy router that I should have sent back?

Thanks!

Andrew Holland/
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 13:13:30
Print Post

Re: D-Link DSL-2640R

[re: andrewh1973] [link to this post]

Aside from the DSL-2640S, which is Sky's version of the DSL-2640B, I've had little experience with D-Link. The DSL-2640S is ok in my experience, but not without one or two issues.

I tend to prefer Netgear though, and the DGN2200 would probably be ok if you decide to change.

Oliver.
Standard User aramsay
(member) Sat 01-Oct-11 15:49:00
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The DSL-2640B is a Broadcom chipset, whereas the DSL-2640R is a Trend chipset.

I wouldn't recommend comparing experiences between the two.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 18:12:16
Print Post

[re: aramsay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aramsay:
I wouldn't recommend comparing experiences between the two.

I don't think it's even wise to compare the DSL-2640B and the DSL-2640S given the amount of firmware customisation that D-Link have done for Sky. But I am saying my experience with a D-Link manufactured device is that they rate "average", and that I prefer Netgear as a brand.

Oliver.
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Oct-11 20:19:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The DSL-2640s actually has a different Broadcom chipset to the dsl-2640 B model, unless D-link have a new revision of the 'B' router out.

I have some Netgear routers and have serious reservations about the underlying firmware, and of the overheating hardware of my dg834N.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 20:34:02
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AbandonShip:
I have some Netgear routers and have serious reservations about the underlying firmware, and of the overheating hardware of my dg834N.

Never tried the DG834N. I have found the DG834, DG834G and DGN2200 good reliable routers though.

Oliver.
Standard User GunJack
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 23:05:53
Print Post

[re: andrewh1973] [link to this post]

Stick with the "proper" 2640B, refurbs on ebay for £20 with a warranty. Someone else on another thread has just been asking too. I've still got three 2640B's, cracking routers, and out-perform 834GT's on my line smile
  Print Thread

Jump to