Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User theboylard
(regular) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:41:45
Print Post

BT 2700hgv Help on a Sunday!!!

[link to this post]

Morning all,

had a call from a friend about their BT business hub - it's dead?!
Checked power, and the router is not doing anything, other resources on same power circuit are all ok.
The router is the dhcp server for his office, with 12 clients, one being their server which houses their customer db and sage.

He's just rung me back, very pleased with BT business tech support - you don't often hear nice things about BT but on this occasion he's happy so well done there! - they are sending out a new psu for the router, but that won't be with him until Tuesday.

Any suggestions in the meantime? To get the server to run as the dhcp may be tricky because of the way sage has been configured - a sage consultancy charged them a stunning amount for a massively overspecced server with the necessary ps, and the sage config appears to loop back.
This also doesn't get them on the net.

My thoughts are another router, but not expensive, must be available from pcworld/maplins (Kettering, if you can think of somewhere else open today) and then I'll replicate his settings in that (TF I printed off all the config sheets in July when I first went round!)

So open to all suggestions, especially adsl routers that will go back to being a standby box after this minor drama is sorted!

It's not the end of the world as we know it, it just seems like it is!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Oct-11 12:53:26
Print Post

Re: BT 2700hgv Help on a Sunday!!!

[re: theboylard] [link to this post]

Pretty well anything should work, but is it an ADSLx line or FTTC? They require different kit, except the BT Home Hub has dual capability.

If it is ADSLx then pretty well any ADSL2+ Router should work, except I think Belkin have a ropey reputation.

If it is FTTC and the Openreach modem is working, you need a cable router instead of an ADSL2+ router.

I assume several clients are running wirelessly, so either would need wireless capability.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Oct-11 12:54:33)

Standard User theboylard
(regular) Sun 09-Oct-11 13:19:04
Print Post

Re: BT 2700hgv Help on a Sunday!!!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ADSL2+ required, no fiber out in the sticks!

I'd already warned him that Belkin was not an option!!

Thanks for the confirmation though...

It's not the end of the world as we know it, it just seems like it is!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to