Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SilentBob
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-11 09:36:24
Print Post

Netgear throughput issue

[link to this post]

Hey chaps,

I have a netgear DGN2000 router on O2 broadband.

At my previous address I synced at around 11-12Mbit and my unthrottled download speed was approx 1MB. If any client was downloading unthrottled other clients just felt a tad slower, but still worked. I would normally throttle my NAS by a few mbit to allow other clients to browse fine etc.

Now I have moved house and my router syncs at 20Mbit. Unthrottled download speeds of 2MB. The problem now is that if a client downloads at this full speed, all other clients get DNS errors and such in the browser and cannot load web pages at all. I have throttled by various amounts and find the problem still occurs when throttled down to 1.6MB. Thus I have throttled my NAS to 1.3MB to stop the DNS errors on other clients.

Is this a limitation in the throughput of the netgear? I am using the 1500 mtu as suggested for O2. It just seems disappointing that I cannot download anywhere near my full speed, so I aint getting much faster than my old address, even though the sync is double!

Alun tongue
------------------------------------------------
O2 Broadband!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Oct-11 09:44:23
Print Post

Re: Netgear throughput issue

[re: SilentBob] [link to this post]

You should use QOS to prioritise Return ACKs

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Oct-11 10:23:39
Print Post

NAS - explain more, is this a NAS on the internal LAN, or external access to a NAS on your network, or a cloud based NAS?

For internal access to NAS on the local LAN there should be no need to throttle it to the broadband speeds, it should run at whatever speed the local LAN is.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SilentBob
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-11 10:28:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its a self built headless home server, running ubuntu-server sitting on my LAN for storing but handles most of my downloading via internet.

The same issue occurs whether its the server downloading or one of my lan client pcs downloading at full pelt. Once you hit about 1.6MB then all other devices starting having problems.

Alun tongue
O2 Broadband!

Edited by SilentBob (Sun 16-Oct-11 10:29:26)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 16-Oct-11 10:36:53
Print Post

is the netgear handling the dns?,
how about setting the client machines to using opendns or google dns 8.8.8.8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Oct-11 10:59:19
Print Post

Downloading using what protocol?

It may simply be swamping the NAT table in the router, a common thing with torrent style clients, i.e. too many simultaneous connections.

If its not number of connections, then ACK prioritisation will generally help.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SilentBob
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-11 11:01:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers.

Not torrents, mostly newsgroups, but also happens when downloading over HTTP (e.g. ubuntu iso). All cause the same issues.

I will look at ACK priority.

Alun tongue
O2 Broadband!
  Print Thread

Jump to