Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 20:23:56
Print Post

Spare Huawei EchoLife HG612

[link to this post]

Hi,

A while ago here, somebody advised me that these modems sometimes come up for sale at eBay as I want to have a spare.

I set up an email notification and have had about 6. I would not touch them with a barge pole. All no returns, all used and as they seem to belone to OR - not legal to sell as not owned by the seller.

I would be happy to consider any kosher sources.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Oct-11 21:31:27
Print Post

Re: Spare Huawei EchoLife HG612

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Does OR reclaim them if the user moves home so therefore cancels the service? If not, then they presumably become the ex-user's property.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 22:26:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I assume that they do. Legally they remain OR's AIUI.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Oct-11 23:03:10
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I don't think we can assume anything.

The cost of a new one, given the OR volumes purchased, will be far less than the cost of requesting the return, receiving, handling, thoroughly cleaning, testing, and repackaging.

Bear in mind that most ISPs charge for the FTTC installation, and the modem cost is presumably part of that. I have certainly had no intimation that I shall have to return it at any stage. The fact that BT Broadband choose to swallow the cost in exchange for an 18-month contract doesn't alter that.

On BT ADSLx Total Broadband, were/are Home Hubs required to be returned on migrating out?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 23:32:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,

The items on eBay have been in use for a lot less than a full contract term, they all seem very iffy to me, and at the prices people expect, not worth it.

DrT

Print Thread

Jump to