Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 12-Nov-11 22:00:10
Print Post

Draytek 2820n - poor performance

[link to this post]

I have a question about the 2820n...

Recently ive had lots of issues with a new line, Zen have arranged for BT to visit my house 3 times and things have improved a bit. Without going into my problem too much it seems to be basically intermitant noise on the line.

I will continue to get that resolved but the question here is does a Draytek 2820n negotiate noise differently to other routers?

When my line problem was at its worst I tried 3 different routers and all gave similar results. Now the line has improved slightly I notice my old Netgear DG834v5 willsit at 6.5 meg (albeit the odd disconnection due to ongong intermittant noise problem), but when you connect the 2820 it start off at around 7 meg sync and within a few hours its down to 1 meg.

Would there be anything differnt about the Draytek hardware that would cause this?
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Nov-11 22:20:07
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2820n - poor performance

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Short answer? i doubt very much that the router is the problem, Could you ensure the router is connected to the test socket and then post your stats.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/2084086-d...

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 12-Nov-11 22:32:57
Print Post

[re: Gypsydog] [link to this post]

My line stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6976 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 28.0 db 19.0 db
Noise Margin 11.0 db 21 db

This is with the Netgear router. The Netgear will sit like this no probs now.

Ifi plug in the Draytek initial stats will be very similar to the above, but after a couple of days it will be down to around 1 meg.

Im not plugging the Draytek back in as its been dropping my profile to ADSL 500

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 12-Nov-11 22:38:55
Print Post

oh and sorry it is connected to test socket. The socket is in the loft on the inside of the gable end where the wire meets the buidling. There is no internal wiring, no extensions and no phone etc.

Ive been throughall the possible causes of problems with the line, but besides all that i was just wondering out if interest why it acts differently to the Netgear.

Thanks for you reply
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sat 12-Nov-11 23:37:35
Print Post

Hmmmm....strange i guess the draytek chipset (the modem part) is not working well with the BT equipment.

BE*Unlimited 17959/1412Kbps
My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Nov-11 14:42:32
Print Post

Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

(Unregistered)Sun 13-Nov-11 16:22:22
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

I would also agree with this. Draytek 2820 firmware does not play well with NewNet ISP gear either. They supply Billion routers as standard and although you have to restart them a few times a week to get the wireless working they do seem to sync slightly higher than the Draytek on NewNet. I have tried a 2710 and 2820/2830 and they all have the same issue. Reduce my ADSL profile and they work fine but if you increase the ADSL profile you can only reliably use the Billion router...

Hope this helps.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Nov-11 17:28:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:
...but the question here is does a Draytek 2820n negotiate noise differently to other routers?
My experience has shown that router choice can make a massive difference! (see my signature link)

It's an old quote and other manufactures may also be making claims but 2Wire are the only people I've found that actually mention this:

"High performance integrated modem. 2Wire’s technology improves DSL1 performance, especially for
homes further away from the local exchange. It also minimizes common interference found when other
devices (such as dimmer switches or fluorescent lighting) are in contact with the DSL line."

For me (my line and conditions) a Broadcom chipset router was the answer but my 2Wire is always within reach smile

Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Nov-11 17:33:39
Print Post

The latest firmware version available is 3.3.7 for the 2820.
You now have to register with and then log in to the DrayTek support site to be able to download firmware crazy crazy

As Pipexer says, an update may be useful if you're not using the latest version.

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Nov-11 17:44:27
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Unless you are refering to NewNet's own LLU gear in an exchange; all ISP's use the same equipment which belongs to BT.

On ADSL2 and ADSL2+ the ISP's 'choice of router' or 'recommended router' is down to commercial reasons. ISP's do not have their 'own gear' in the exchange.

Looking at SamKnows NewNet only have 11 exchanges that contain their LLU gear, see link.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu/exchanges/newn...

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000

Edited by Gypsydog (Sun 13-Nov-11 17:45:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to