Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-11 13:29:18
Print Post

Technicolor (Thomson) TG582n - Broadcom/IPv6/Cheap!

[link to this post]

This looks like an interesting router!

The Technicolor (Thomson) TG582n Website

It was mentioned earlier this week in this TBB News Item.
AAISP have just announced they are adopting it as their IPv6 router for home use.

I see ZEN also supply them to their customers - not sure how much IPv6 research they have done though.

On Amazon they can be had for a very reasonable £37.50.

Looking around, some people are saying they have a Broadcom chipset (my favourite!) but I see some conflicting reports.
ADSL24's shop listing says it uses an Infineon chipset for example - and they are normally pretty good on listing the correct chipsets (I've bought v4 (Broadcom) Netgears from them in the past).

Does anyone with better knowledge of this router know for sure which chipset they use - or are there different models available?

Initially I thought AAISP had found a new router - but it seems it's been around for a while now.
Perhaps this will give the Billion's a run for their money!

NB. @Freeola - I'm happy to trial one for you on your Entanet IPv6 ADSL - just pop one in the post smile

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Nov-11 13:51:55
Print Post

Re: Technicolor (Thomson) TG582n - Broadcom/IPv6/Cheap!

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Does anyone with better knowledge of this router know for sure which chipset they use - or are there different models available?

Broadcom.

Initially I thought AAISP had found a new router - but it seems it's been around for a while now.
Perhaps this will give the Billion's a run for their money!

It's a great little router. We've been shipping them for a few months. Not sure they'd surpass the 7800N and SNR might still be locked (although, not tried on the 582n yet).

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-11 14:25:08
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

I think you're right about not being able to Tweak.

Are you using them on IPv6 connections?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-11 19:17:27
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Be now use theses also.

BE*Unlimited 19157/1399Kbps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-Nov-11 19:50:31
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Be now use theses also.
Not tweak able= not good then i bet they are still slow at responding to imcp requests,and have the built backdoor for isp access, not to mention being a nightmare to configure ie port forwarding, as they (Thompson/ Technicolor ) set to use upnp as a default i don't use dhcp upnp or even wireless , but i would sooner use the billion over a slooow Thompson any day then there is support from Technicolor i know billion offer good support
Standard User epyon
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-11 20:33:43
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Good thing i use billion then wink

BE*Unlimited 19157/1399Kbps
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 22:14:22
Print Post

I went off Technicolor/Thomson when they disabled tweaking. I'm still using a 546v6 on the last firmware that was tweakable, going to see how it performs on ADSL2+ on a new ISP. Trouble is the Billions are so expensive, I got the 546 for a fiver.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-Nov-11 23:28:58
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I went off Technicolor/Thomson when they disabled tweaking. I'm still using a 546v6 on the last firmware that was tweakable, going to see how it performs on ADSL2+ on a new ISP. Trouble is the Billions are so expensive, I got the 546 for a fiver.
probably all it's worth,lol but if it does what you need it to do then it don't really matter, you can get the wired version of the billion 7800, for a cheaper price,and i think it will be IPV6 compatible by now, as i was told be billion support that they indeed intended to do so ,once they had implemented it & it was working ok with the N version ,that was several months ago
Standard User JPL
(member) Sun 27-Nov-11 14:25:10
Print Post

Beware of jumping early for a Thomson product - they have a history of dropping full support for the current model as soon as a new version comes out, even if it is still within its warranty period.

JPL
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Nov-11 17:50:05
Print Post

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

I'm using an ancient Thomson 585v6 which is doing fine.

This thread is discussing a £37 router - so for most this won't be too much of an issue wink

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 18:23:25
Print Post

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JPL:
Beware of jumping early for a Thomson product - they have a history of dropping full support for the current model as soon as a new version comes out, even if it is still within its warranty period.

JPL
I vaguely can remember something about the supplied power bricks having a short life span,in that they wouldn't completely fail but the power output became low enough for it to become unusable as it would become unaccessible to end user, and i think that getting the correct power brick was difficult,so they ended up in landfill sites, personally i don't like the user gui and lack of user configure ability
as well as lots of other things about them too,
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Nov-11 19:32:44
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Still using the Be supplied 780WL which is also tweakable

Be* Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to