Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-Nov-11 15:40:04
Print Post

High performance, rock solid router/modem

[link to this post]

Hi all

I'm looking for suggestions for a great performance router/adsl modem that'll handle around 10 people connected who are heavy users. I've had routers in the past that start to suffer when more than a handful of people are connected and now want something better.

What product would you suggest for a high performance router/adsl modem? Cost really isn't so much of an issue, as long as it's below £250.

Cheers
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:07:06
Print Post

Re: High performance, rock solid router/modem

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Go for the Billion 7800N. In my home I've got 6 wireless devices connected to it and it doesnt blink an eyelid even when all 6 devices are hammering the router simultaneously.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadban...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 28-Nov-11 17:55:00)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-Nov-11 16:56:59
Print Post

You could also consider open source router firmware/software. If your p2p usage is heavy, you'd need a router with more RAM.

Software/Firmware:
pfSense/monowall (x86 targeted), OpenWRT (good support for consumer grade routers - mostly MIPS architecture), ZRouter (based on FreeBSD, for MIPS and ARM, quite new, not sure about stability)

MIPS hardware (many websites such as wifi-stock have these non-x86 router boards):
Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro
Mikrotik
Many consumer grade routers

x86 hardware (requires a switch behind it if you use wired connections)
mini-itx with low-power Intel Atom or AMD Geode or APU
FitPC2i (Intel Atom) uses 10watts max
FitPC3 (AMD APU) is about to be released (need an additional NIC unless you want one-armed router with VLAN)
ALIX system

ARM hardware:
trimslice (only 1 NIC with wifi)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-Nov-11 18:01:23
Print Post

With 10 people sharing the same connection, it's recommended to traffic shape your outbound traffic, otherwise once the upstream is congested, download speed for most applications (especially ones that use TCP) would drop and some applications may become less responsive (e.g. web pages taking a while to open). The open source solution would give you the option to manage your traffic for free. You can use OpenDPI to lower the priority of p2p traffic so that you can play games, make VoIP calls or browse web sites etc while uploading/dowloading at full speed. You can also use it to make sure everyone gets a fair share dynamically (eg 2 people uploading at full speed would get 50% each, not 10%). I have a similar setup at home, it was a pain to use the Internet before I flashed my router with OpenWRT, although now the hardware is reaching its limit. If you have 10 people using p2p applications at the same time, normal consumer grade routers may not be enough, you should be looking at those DIY boards with relatively large RAM I mentioned in the previous post.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Nov-11 18:32:03
Print Post

Errm. Draytek Vigor 2830?

(legend) Mon 28-Nov-11 20:00:44
Print Post

For 10 connections you must already have some form of Switch - get a decent Gigabit switch and put everything through that and only connect the switch to the router. Get a separate WAP and connect that to the switch rather than use the router's WAP.

Let the router perform the Modem function, interface to the modem, DHCP server, firewall and NAT. You can even limit the speed to/from the router to 100Mb so it does not get swamped. Let the switch do the local processing and traffic management.

You can get a modem for around £50 then a managed switch for £150 or so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User vodoun
(regular) Sat 03-Dec-11 04:09:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC, any recommendations for a good switch. Not to the extent of the OP. I'm currently looking at a, 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch by TP-Link. £25.95

--------
Too much knowledge is dangerous!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 10:18:51
Print Post

[re: vodoun] [link to this post]

Have a look at the bottom end Cisco switches only a little more expensive.

M H C

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Dec-11 14:39:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Some originally linksys range but Cisco deemed them worthy enough to change the branding. I've used a few of them and have an SLM2008 (branded linksys) and they are great.

(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 16:15:17
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Agree ... I have used several SRW20XX managed switches there is even a basic TDR which gives cable length and distance to a break!

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to