Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:03:48
Print Post

Need a new router

[link to this post]

I have a Netgear DG834G v4 that I use wired.

It appears it may have become faulty so I need a replacement. I'd happily buy another of the same because I find it easy to use the user interface and don't know too much about these things.
Broadbandbuyer have it in stock, and I was about to order it, but is there anything better that is as easy to understand and very reliable ?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:15:05
Print Post

Re: Need a new router

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

I prefer the linksys range of ADSL modem/routers to netgear myself - the interface is much easier and the wording comforms more closely to industry standards, the interface is also a lot more snappy than netgear and less changes require reboots.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:21:33
Print Post

If there is a chance that you might be going to FTTC in the next year, then a look at something like the Billion 7800N might be worth a look. It is a little more expensive than a straight ADSL modem, but it is easy to switch to the ethernet mode necessary to connect to the BT Openreach installed modem.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (waiting to see)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:36:03
Print Post

It's worth making sure that the router is at fault and it's not a different issue!

Perhaps post some details of why you think it's 'faulty' ? smile

Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:36:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks! I've been happy with the Netgear, but if it is faulty so soon and also from reading some not so good reviews, perhaps it's not that perfect!
I'll keep the Linksys in mind. Any particular model?
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:51:53
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

That's interesting! There is indeed a chance I'll go over to FTTC (it's available to me now) but I want to try the ADSL from this provider properly first as I don't absolutely need fast speeds. I need to get a stable connection first though, and after today's discussion with the ISP it looks like it could be the router.

If I got a router that wouldn't need replacing for FTTC, then all the better. I don't see particularly good reviews for the one the ISP provides/sells for FTTC (WNR2000), but the Billion that you mention does have good reviews, plus I've seen people here at TB say good things about it!
I hadn't thought of getting one that would suit both purposes!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 18:53:50
Print Post

I used a WAG54GS for my own ADSL connection a couple of years ago and it was fantastic - you can pick them up on eBay for less than a tenner. My friend still has mine after I upgraded to a Draytek and it has been running perfectly at his since I set it up 3 years ago.

I also bought a WAG54G2 for my neighbour which is a more recent model and that has been totally trouble free too. I set it up about a year and a half ago and it's still running perfectly.

Looking at the website the two most recent models are x2000 and x3000, I don't have any experience with them unfortunately but I bet they are not dissimilar to the WAG54G2. I'd check the reviews as always first.

How long have you had your netgear? If under 12 months I'd demand a replacement.

(regular) Thu 08-Dec-11 19:26:07
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

It's a possibility after another discussion with the ISP today.
Basically, I started getting problems - connection drops and very slow or non existent page loads and email movement - in late September which got worse in October.
I did blame the fact that my ISP had been taken over by another company, and as I'd been thinking of migrating for some time, did just that a few weeks ago.
I do however get the same probelms, only perhaps moreso. (Perhaps because I moved from LLU to a BTW ISP), but perhaps because the potential fault has got worse.
The new ISP is being very helpful, and a couple of BT faults elsewhere did cause some of the disconnects, so each time I get it stable again it eventually either starts slowing down, going very slowly again or loses connection. We needed for it to settle down properly to get a bigger picture of where the problem was.
Sometimes it reconnects itself, others not. ISP can see 42 disconnects since I migrated to them.
It seems most stable when synced at around 4864, but twice has synced at 5504 which makes it quite unstable and it usually disconnects eventually.

Last night, it did disconnect from a 5504 sync, and when I unplugged the router for a while, the power light stayed red when I plugged it in again. This happened twice and on the third attempt, it turned green. This was a new one that I hadn't seen before. It synced at 4864.
As a result, I spoke to the ISP again and two things initially were worth checking/dealing with - sort out moving & replacing our really old master socket upstairs (computer is downstairs on an extension) and trying another router.
While disussing this with him, I noticed that the router stats had changed: whereas all three WAN LAN & WLAN showed 22 hours up time when I started talking to him, it had changed on the WAN to just miutes up time, so had lost that connection for a short time.
He said that did point to the router being at fault.
I had noticed on a few ocasions that the WAN up time was less than the other two, but didn't realise it was a problem.

I don't mind getting a new one - working at home, I do need a reliable connection, and if I do decide to go onto FTTC, getting one that would suit both types of connection seems a good idea - the Billion suggested sounds like a good option.
We do need the old master socket moving anyway - it's always been odd having it upstairs, and it's not NTE5. Definitely needs moving if I do go to FTTC, so best be prepared.

In the meantime, they want me to leave it disconnected if it does it again in business hours and phone them, or take details of stats etc if not and contact them again.
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-11 19:30:36
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks - You're with Zen too? smile
Nice to have some options.

My DG834G v4 is 8/9 months old so still under warranty, so I will definitely return it if it does prove to be at fault.
In order to do that though, I need another router, and may as well get something decent, but quickly. If this current router is faulty, then it's getting worse.
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Sat 10-Dec-11 02:09:33
Print Post

Last night, after it lost the WAN briefly, it had re-synced at 5184. I've noticed anything that high is pretty unstable especially from early evening. I've left it as it is, but tonight it is slowing a lot and speeding up again frequently. Email been sluggish all day too. The WAN lost connection again briefly tonight too.

After looking at all the options mentioned here, I decided to go ahead and get a Billion 7800N as suggested seeing I may switch to fibre some time.
Once I've tried it I'll post the outcome - I do hope it's a success ...can but try!

We don't yet have a date for the new master socket to be fitted, but hopefully that'll be soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to