Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jtevans
(member) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:47:51
Print Post

Netgear DG834G V4 Lockups - explanation?

[link to this post]

I have used Netgear DG834G routers from V2 to V5 since my first broadband link in May 2004 and have installed and managed them on behalf of others as they have always been reliable and I liked the facilities for management and firewalling.

From mid year, I have had to replace three routers because every few days and increasingly every few hours they would lock up and have to be power cycled. It seemed it was the LAN switch that was locking up but I never fully proved this. Updating to the latest software did not cure the problem.

I finally realised that the routers with problems are all V4, all about three years old. Older V3 routers continue to work reliably. On removing the cover (of two available) I find that all five electrolytic caps are manufactured by TEAPO with date codes from 05/08 to 08/08 and the same three caps in each router are "domed", one being so badly domed it has split. This is a sign of overheating and component failure. [All routers were stood on end for best heat flow for most of their operational life].

I hope/expect when I replace these caps the routers will return to their previous reliability.

Just be aware if you have any V4 Netgear DG834G or buy any on a well known auction site, they may exhibit this unreliability when two to three years old.

Jim Evans
Cheshire

Edited by jtevans (Sun 11-Dec-11 16:58:41)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Dec-11 17:45:18
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G V4 Lockups - explanation?

[re: jtevans] [link to this post]

I've seen the LAN ports on Netgear's DGN2000 slowly 'fry' for a few people I look after frown

Sometimes the throughput just deteriorates rather than fails so it can look as if your broadband connection is at fault! If you aren't aware of this it can cause a 'lot' of problems. i.e. Talking to your ISP: I'm connected at xxx but only getting yyy in speed tests etc.

Swapping LAN ports can get you round things (for a while) as they don't seem to all fail together.
The wifi isn't affected which is handy!

Netgear do replace them under warranty but (in my experience) you have to pay postage etc. and talk to their support on a premium line frown

Standard User jtevans
(member) Wed 14-Dec-11 11:09:33
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
I've seen the LAN ports on Netgear's DGN2000 slowly 'fry' for a few people I look after frown

Thanks for the update. That's useful additional info.

I have just replaced the 3 caps on two offending routers and put one back into service. Should know within a few hours if that is the problem or if the LAN switch itself is dying!

Jim Evans
Cheshire

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jtevans
(member) Wed 21-Dec-11 10:15:50
Print Post

Update:

The repaired router has run for one week without any lockup

Jim Evans
Cheshire
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Dec-11 17:08:22
Print Post

Good one smile

Print Thread

Jump to