Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Wed 21-Dec-11 21:16:08
Print Post

Friend has been using old modem, new modem but no faster?

[link to this post]

Hello,
My friend is on the Xilo Pro 16MB LLU Package. He joined them about 2 years ago I think and kept using his old Belkin router. Now his line is fairly terrible and has gradually seemed to be getting worse over the years so I have had a look into it. As far as I can tell his old Belkin modem didn't actually support ADSL2 so I have just given him my old Speedtouch 585v6. It has connected fine but no faster.

Now I am no expert in these matters but if someone could advise it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if either his line is just that bad he won't get faster although Samknows and BT's site both estimate around 5MB on ADSL2 or because his line was activated with his old modem during the 10 day profile period it has limited the speed somehow? Here are his line stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:09:02
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 915 / 2.555
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1,93 / 18,58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 12,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,0 / 54,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 9,5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P

Any help appreciated.

BE 24MB:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,433 / 23,389
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Dec-11 22:23:06
Print Post

Re: Friend has been using old modem, new modem but no faster

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

On that attenuation, if everything was perfect he could connect at around 4Mbps.

Things I can see less than perfect are the noise margin of 9.5dB, indicating a sync-time setting of 9dB where for most lines 6dB is fine, and a downstream power of 12.0dBm where the norm is more like 18-19dBm.

It is possible the 9dB is the standard setting on that package, but 6dB could give over 1Mbps better. The 12dBm power could be an exchange problem.

On a line like that it is always a good idea to check that there is nothing in his home wiring that is also slowing him down. Have a look through my Troubleshooting section and see if there is anything there that applies. (There's a couple of pages that clearly don't).

Just as an incidental point, there is no 10-day training on LLU lines. That is a BT Wholesale ADSL2x "feature". So don't worry about that. Even if he was originally on a non-LLU service the move to LLU is a completely new start so far as the exchange end is concerned.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to