Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 11:08:24
Print Post

Billion 7800N SNR tweak query

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I have just switched to using a Billion 7800N from a Netgear DG834GT and i'm trying to get the SNR tweak to work how i think it should, where am i going wrong?

If i enter the values as quoted on this page:- http://www.spaldwick.com/billion-7800n
eg 65500 as my target noise margin is 15dB currently (mostly due to disconnecting/reconnecting my line)
The router then disconnects the ADSL as expected and resyncs with a lower SNR Margin/Higher connection speed BUT the connection to the ISP doesnt re-login, i have to reboot the router using the "restart" option at the bottom of the page on the main router setup pages before it will do so (it retains the lower SNR Margin/Higher connection speed).

Is this normal?

Using the SNR tweak via Telnet for my DG834GT it didnt require a reboot.

EDIT
I am using firmware 1.05, i know 1.06 is out but not sure it would change anything. Also i reset to factory defaults via the pin hole switch at the back as i bought it 2nd hand and the previous owners details were in there.

Edited by InQ (Fri 30-Dec-11 11:12:14)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Dec-11 11:14:11
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N SNR tweak query

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

I use the 7800n with sky and never had a problem (i use value of 35 which drops the SNR to 3 for me). What ISP do you use?
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 11:42:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am currently on Zen on ADSLMax but moving to XILO (TT reseller) on LLU ADSL2+ in a few weeks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Dec-11 12:13:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by InQ:
but moving to XILO

You might want to reset this to defaults when you do so that there are no sync issues after migration smile

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 12:15:49
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,

Yes will do on the night before otherwise it will try to give me a noise margin of circa 3dB it seems (you use 12dB noise margin as default i think i read?).
(actually using a slightly lower value than 65500 of 65485 as 65500 got me to ~7dB from 15dB and i wanted 6dB to make the sync 8128kbps).

Matt, slightly OT but can the user change between Fastpath and Interleaved or does it need to be done by yourselves?
Also the 12dB noise margin, can a user reduce this "official" target or do yourselves have to set it?

Edited by InQ (Fri 30-Dec-11 12:20:20)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Dec-11 18:27:18
Print Post

The default is 12db but we can set to 6db.

Interleaving or Fast can only be set by us but is a quick change.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to