Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Sun 01-Jan-12 15:11:35
Print Post

Billion 7800N issues

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Switched from a Netgear DG834GT to a Billion 7800N in the last 5 days or so and while its been mainly plain sailing it hasnt been perfect and has today got worse.
I shall elaborate...
While the wifi seemed fine i noticed on occasions it would seem to drop (happened on my laptop and wifes netbook at same time). I have been running Routerstats lite to monitor the line and it went to 0dB but with a downward red line to indicate a none response from the router rather than a disconnection (ie line dropped sync).
Telnet into the router and doing "adsl info --stats" also reported no LOS (Loss of Signal) over the complete up time so it could only be a wifi drop/glitch in my opinion. This kind of bears out in that running Routerstats wired direct to the router via ethernet over a 24hr+ period saw no downward red lines on the Routerstats plot.

So i was kind of putting up with this but today the internet dropped and i couldnt get reconnected (line was synced, no settings had been touched etc). A reboot did nothing so i did a reset to factory defaults and reinput my details and all was fine. At that point i thought i might as well upgrade the firmware from 1.05 (not sure if there was a letter on the end...) to 1.06e which went smoothly but it is now reporting my line attenuation is 41dB when before it was reporting 33dB!
Re-trying my Netgear and its 34dB (same as it always has been on that router, 33-34dB depending on the router used, a 3COM reports 33dB) on the same filter and wiring (also tried another ADSL cable from master socket to router with no change).
Tried flashing firmwares 1.06d and 1.06b and its the same, reporting 41dB. I havent got firmware 1.05 to try.

So now i'm using my Netgear again (at 34dB)!

Any help suggestions welcome, is this a problem that has been seen before on the 7800N or is my 7800N "dying"?

(i'm on ADSLMax, G.DMT).
Standard User InQ
(member) Sun 01-Jan-12 20:32:03
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N issues

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

Well managed to find 1.05 firmware and reflashed, it shows line attenuation as 33dB again! So something up with the 1.06 range of firmware for me at least, must be the router.
Reflashed to 1.06e and the raised attenuation is still there but have left it as this to try, it appears to be just mis-reporting it as doing an SNR tweak to get me back to ~6dB brings about a 8128kbps profile again which i can just manage on a 33-34dB line and ADSLMax.

Is it worth enabling the PhyR and SRA?

Will see how the wifi goes, i've put it on b+g+n rather than g+n as it was before as i've read of at least one person with issues with just having it set as g+n.....we shall see.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 01-Jan-12 22:12:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by InQ:
Well managed to find 1.05 firmware and reflashed, it shows line attenuation as 33dB again! So something up with the 1.06 range of firmware for me at least, must be the router.
Reflashed to 1.06e and the raised attenuation is still there but have left it as this to try, it appears to be just mis-reporting it as doing an SNR tweak to get me back to ~6dB brings about a 8128kbps profile again which i can just manage on a 33-34dB line and ADSLMax.

Is it worth enabling the PhyR and SRA? No point unless the line card/dslam/isam ,port ect ect supports such extras. and even if it does support them, it's still down to your isp & if they support them, otherwise enabling them will make zero difference

Will see how the wifi goes, i've put it on b+g+n rather than g+n as it was before as i've read of at least one person with issues with just having it set as g+n.....we shall see.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-12 02:08:45
Print Post

Interesting. I am having a few problems with my wired 7800 such as an unexplained reboot after 4 days uptime and throughput issues. I am waiting for 1.06f from Billion to see if it fixes it but apparently they are still fixing bugs in it. Might be worth getting on to Billion support and report your findings.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User InQ
(member) Mon 02-Jan-12 06:49:35
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Thanks Tim,

I have also posted on their forum so hopefully it gets picked up when they are back in.
Standard User InQ
(member) Mon 02-Jan-12 21:22:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well the wifi has played up again a bit, routerstats showing a drop but the actual line hasnt dropped/resynced.

Changed the channel width to 20MHz only rather than 20/40MHz and it seems to have made my wireless connection really strong. I get 5/5 signal quality anywhere in the house now (speed varies from ~50mbps to 100+mbps depending on location) which before (set at 20/40MHz or on my Netgear DG834GT) is unheard of.
This is through 3 walls and at 6-7m distance in some instances.

The wifes Samsung NC10 is also much improved, signal quality varies a bit (its better than before though) but the speed is 54mbps and doesnt change at all!

We'll see how the routerstats plotting goes...
Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:10:26
Print Post

Update.

The wifi signal for my laptop didnt last long, the day later it was back to not being quite as good as the day before.

After much messing and running Routerstats on the wifes laptop i've found out that the microwave (Cookworks from Argos) is interfering with the wifi! With the wifes netbook running Routerstats via wifi and my laptop via ethernet once i start the microwave up give it 10 seconds and the signal drops on Routerstats and goes up and down until the microwave goes off....my laptop is fine when wired. I'm sat about 3-4 meters from the microwave, move the netbook in the lounge near the router and test again and it doesnt see the problem.
Not sure how long we have had the microwave, at least 2 years and i've never seen this before. Need to try my Netgear router and see if the problem is equally as apparent (havent noticed it on that but never really looked for it or probably been running Routerstats) or if the 7800N is particularly touchy on the wifi side.
Saying that its more likely to be my microwave as the signal isnt affected when my netbook is close to the router so it must be the microwave blocking the signal.
Standard User mugwumpx
(committed) Sun 08-Jan-12 16:59:27
Print Post

I would look at your microwave. As they use frequencies around the 2.45GHz mark then it could be indicative of a poor RF seal on the microwave somewhere.

Mugwump

Origo Repair CD - www.origo-repair.org.uk
Routertech - A new help site for all things router & networking
  Print Thread

Jump to