Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CraigBruce
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 13:59:06
Print Post

Modem/router recommendation sought

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation to replace an ageing/malfunctioning Netgear DG834N. Currently on Plusnet ADLS2+ but FTTC by Mar 31st unless the date slips again, so compatability options there would be nice.

The quirk is my setup which is as follows (I'm in the process of returning a shiny new Netgear N600 which couldnt deliver the required functionality):

o Static IP range provided by Plusnet
o 4 static IPs used including the one for the modem. Don't need router-based firewall protection but the option would be nice on a per IP basis
o Static IP hardware typically cabled rather than wireless
o 1 of the static IPs is assigned to a wireless router which NATs private IPs used by various kit including Slingbox, Wi-Fi PVR, Xbox etc
o Some of the NAT'd kit I access remotely, such as Slinbox and port forwarding from static/[public IP on wireless router handles that

Plusnet----> Modem/Router (Static IP1) ----> PC/server (Static IP2)
................................................................ ----> PC/server (Static IP3)
................................................................ ----> Wireless router (Static IP4) ----> 192.168.0.x range
................................................................................................................----> Slingbox etc.

Ideally modem/router would be combined to save on a power socket, but could have 2 devices. The problem I had with the N600 is that when I switched NAT off and assigned the same static IP address to WAN and LAN sides of the device and then connected to Plusnet, the N600 decided to be smart and protect me from an ISP related IP clash, resetting the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1. As I'd switched off most of the functions on the N600 (Wifi, NAT, DHCP, Firewall) it wasn't doing much anyway..

Thanks in advance,

Craig
Standard User CraigBruce
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 16:44:07
Print Post

Re: Modem/router recommendation sought

[re: CraigBruce] [link to this post]

Thinking further on my requirements I wonder whether my 'challenges' could be solved in the following way with a single device (scrapping my wireless router) such as the Billion 7800N...

Use a single modem/router in the following manner:
- wired connections (some or all) direct passthrough using the static IP addresses I have
- wireless connections on a private NATd 192.168.0.x subnet with port forwarding

Craig
  Print Thread

Jump to