Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-12 13:53:21
Print Post

Bipac 7800N - a few gripes

[link to this post]

Well I've finished setting up my new 7800N as a replacement for my old Thomson TG585 and have setup the necessary static IP addresses for things like the printer and those PCs which do p2p stuff, all seems to work well so far.

BUT... a few gripes about the 7800N

1. the power adaptor is significantly thicker and bulkier and it's power cord is about 30cm shorter than any other router I've had, making placement of the 7800 more awkward in my case, particularly as I'd planned on plugging the power into a socket behind a tall chest of drawers on which the 7800 was to sit in place of the TG585

2. One feature missing for me is the display of all connected network clients - in the DHCP status page, you can see which dynically-assigned hosts/clients are connected to the LAN and their MAC and IP addresses, but any clients that have statically assigned IP adresses are not listed and as far as I can see, there's no facility to list their status on the LAN.

3. The way in which static IP addresses are set up seems a little complicated: to set up a client to have a static IP address, you must manually specify the client's hostname, MAC address and the desired IP address which cannot be in the DHCP server's address range; the TG585 made the same task a doddle by listing all LAN clients, their hostname, MAC address and IP address, and for each host you could specify that the DHCP server would always assign that address to that host - much simpler, intuitive and less complicated that the 7800's fussy way of achieving the same thing.

Gripe #2 could be addressed with a simple page to list all connected clients, but despite these gripes I still recommend the 7800N to anyone wanting a flexible broadband router. I'm more than happy to be corrected if I've got it all wrong with the 7800N

One question about the 7800N - do DHCP leased IPs stick with a hostname? In other words, when a clients IP address expires, will DHCP renew with the same IP address from the pool?
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-12 16:34:57
Print Post

Re: Bipac 7800N - a few gripes

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joconnell:
One question about the 7800N - do DHCP leased IPs stick with a hostname? In other words, when a clients IP address expires, will DHCP renew with the same IP address from the pool?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question - clients should renew their IP address half way through the lease period, well before expiry. Otherwise it is requesting a new IP address rather than renewing an existing one.

Oliver.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-12 17:08:37
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

I'm not sure I fully understand the question - clients should renew their IP address half way through the lease period, well before expiry. Otherwise it is requesting a new IP address rather than renewing an existing one.

Maybe I've misunderstood how DHCP works. If I switch on my PC which connects to the LAN and gets an address from the DHCP server, that address is leased for 24 hours, but if I shutdown the PC minutes later and restart it more than 24 hours later, the previous address will have expired and the DHCP server will again provide an address to the PC - will that address be the same of the previously expired address that was issued to that same client/host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Mon 16-Jan-12 19:37:49
Print Post

Most routers operating DHCP, associate the leased IP with the MAC address of the LAN/WLAN device.

If, after the lease time has expired, no other device has been allocated this IP address, then the same address is still available to be allocated to the same device where it was originally allocated.

i.e I have set my 2700HGV modem/router to allocate a range of 15 IP addresses by DHCP on a 24 hour lease. I only have 10 devices randomly connecting to my LAN (and never all 10 at once!). Therefore each device has had the same IP address allocated for several years now.

However, should I reduce the allocated range to 8 IP addresses, then I would expect some juggling of addresses over time as each of the 10 devices accesses the LAN in turn.

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Standard User prinknash
(committed) Mon 16-Jan-12 20:14:51
Print Post

2. One feature missing for me is the display of all connected network clients - in the DHCP status page, you can see which dynically-assigned hosts/clients are connected to the LAN and their MAC and IP addresses, but any clients that have statically assigned IP adresses are not listed and as far as I can see, there's no facility to list their status on the LAN.

Doesn't the ARP Table show you what you're looking for?

p
Standard User kmendum
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-12 20:53:13
Print Post

I have a 7800 without the wireless part.

Yes, the power lead is too short! Can't figure out why, just used a more convenient power unit instead.

My device just asks for IP address and MAC address for static ARP. It is very odd that you cannot specify a fixed address out of the DHCP pool, you certainly can on the various other routers etc I own.

As ToneDeaf notes, the point of a DHCP pool is that addresses are allocated on a first come first served basis with no regard for the client they were previously allocated to. Depending on the lease period you may end up with the same IP address permanently or it may change every time the device connects. My current DHCP server has a maximum lease period of 48 hours so most of the addresses rotate across the various hosts.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 12:55:44
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ToneDeaf:
Most routers operating DHCP, associate the leased IP with the MAC address of the LAN/WLAN device.

If, after the lease time has expired, no other device has been allocated this IP address, then the same address is still available to be allocated to the same device where it was originally allocated.

i.e I have set my 2700HGV modem/router to allocate a range of 15 IP addresses by DHCP on a 24 hour lease. I only have 10 devices randomly connecting to my LAN (and never all 10 at once!). Therefore each device has had the same IP address allocated for several years now.

However, should I reduce the allocated range to 8 IP addresses, then I would expect some juggling of addresses over time as each of the 10 devices accesses the LAN in turn.

That does make perfect sense
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 12:56:59
Print Post

[re: prinknash] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prinknash:

p
I'll check that - thanks
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 12:59:32
Print Post

[re: kmendum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kmendum:
Yes, the power lead is too short! Can't figure out why, just used a more convenient power unit instead.

I'm guessing the more convenient power unit you used has exactly the same specs for output voltage and current? If so where did you get it?
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 18-Jan-12 13:44:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by prinknash:

p
I'll check that - thanks

The ARP table only shows IP and MAC addresses - no hostname
  Print Thread

Jump to