Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dusty_bin
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 09:17:59
Print Post

Netgear WNR2200 - Is it me or their technical support?

[link to this post]

I wasn't sure whether to post this in The Good, Bad and the Ugly or here, so feel free to move it if appropriate.

Following on from this question on using my old DG834
I managed to get the DG834 working by explicitly setting the NTP server list as server IPs and then enetering static routes for each and it is now time sync'ed.

I'm on FTTC and the internet access is fine but I now find that the Netgear WNR2200 I eventually got refuses to port forward NTP port 123/udp to my network!
When I try to add the rule using ''add custom service'' I get the error message:
The specified ports are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type

Also, I found that the function to email the router logfile fails:
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 550 <@plus.net> invalid address^M,
Sunday, January 29,2012 16:46:59
[email sent to: <postmaster@mymailserver.co.uk>] Sunday, January 29,2012 16:46:59

When I raised the issue with Netgear support, I was first told:
Regarding your concern the NTP port number 123 is the Network time protocol that is already been open in the router, the router uses this port number to update and synchronize its time with the time that it is been setup. So you will not be able to open this port in your router.

when I pointed out that I didn't have any problem doing this with my DG834, I was told:
Regarding your concern we would like to let you know the the DG834 is a combination of both the modem router, as a result of which you have the liberty to grant or deny traffic in both the directions and the rules are different.
However the WNR2200 is just a normal router, it only though out and not in.

Is it me - or am I just being told a lot of rubbish?
Standard User dusty_bin
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 11:11:14
Print Post

Re: Netgear WNR2200 - Is it me or their technical support?

[re: dusty_bin] [link to this post]

Well, it eventually got escalated to level 2 support.
I've explained that I don't use DHCP on my LAN and that the WAN address is allocated by ISP through PPPoE. I was asked if the modem is doing DHCP and I said 'no'.

They have now said:
I would like to ask what is the LAN IP address of the modem and which device is the DHCP server?
Once you have the DHCP server disabled on the WNR2200, it will only act as a switch that has wireless feature, any configuration that has something to do with its firewall will be useless, so the port forwarding or trigerring should be done on the dhcp server device.

Any suggestions how I should answer this, as I'm confused by the question? Since router has NAT, why are they saying it would just act as a switch?
  Print Thread

Jump to